We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris and some Irids 2010  (Read 38103 times)

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »
and more
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2010, 11:48:18 PM »
Yes please Gerhard I would certainly welcome the original description.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51:52 PM »
I am speechless with amazement - do you open your garden when all these are in season?
I hope that you are able to get seed from some of these as they are very desirable - even OP see would be good from these.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2010, 11:53:26 PM »
And here are picts of the Iris species, which I have found on the trip to Cyprus:

Iris cypriana and an albino clone. I don`t believe that it is I. cypriana var. alba, because the plant is half the size in all parts of usual I. cypriana
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

PeterT

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:01 PM »
Gerhard, what wonderfull plants, I am looking for a form of Iris  reichenbachii I once grew. it was violet but simiar to the one you have pictured, The flower was a large sphere and the plant was very small with falcate leaves
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2010, 11:58:31 PM »
Love these thin stemmed tall species - so different to the chunky compact species. Similar to what I grow as Iris trojana.
I hope you will try for seed in any of the species that you grow.
What was the thin leaved bulb in the Anacrusius photo?
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »
and here are more picts
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2010, 12:30:26 AM »
Gerhard, what wonderfull plants, I am looking for a form of Iris  reichenbachii I once grew. it was violet but simiar to the one you have pictured, The flower was a large sphere and the plant was very small with falcate leaves

There are two or three clones of I. reichenbachii in my collection , which aren`t usual yellow. I`ll look for a pict of the other clone. If the clumbs are great enough I would give away a division.

Unfortunately a clone isn`t hard enough to grow it for a long time in the garden here in zone 6b
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »
Love these thin stemmed tall species - so different to the chunky compact species. Similar to what I grow as Iris trojana.
I hope you will try for seed in any of the species that you grow.
What was the thin leaved bulb in the Anacrusius photo?

Yes, Iris trojana is similar ( mayby  identical with I. cypriana). Here you will find a pict of my usual clumb of I. trojana , which is still in flower. http://www.cypripedium.at/Fotoalbum%20Iridaceae/Iris%20trojana.jpg

The plants around Anacrusius belong to a white flowering Allium spec. , which grews on pure calcy cliffs at the Adriatic Sea. I haven`t enough time and haven`t made the ID till yet, but there aren`t a lot of species in this area.

If you want seeds, please inform me pm with the wishlist. This year I focus on Hepatica spp., so I haven`t pollinated a lot of Iris spp.
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
Gerhard, where should I start? There are so many super plants in your postings and so many questions I want to ask. Can you say something more about anacrusius? Where does it come from and is that normal colouring? Is it close to, e.g. pumila?

The Cypriot pictures are wonderful. Tall, elegant plants which are very attractive. I hope you will collect seed off as many of all these irises as possible and send some to AGS and SRGC exchanges.

Peter/Pat, seed too from Iris moorcroftiana/lactea. It is different from forms I've seen in NZ and anyway, they're not available anywhere I can find. We no longer seem to have a nursery with Iris species, only interminable tall and lower bearded cultivars and some siberians. Very occasionally a smaller species from our one remaining alpine nursery.

Graham, well done with your I. verna. I grow it reasonably well and my experience is that it doesn't like to be too moist as I originally thought and lost some to winter rotting. I think a light, woodsy type of mixture with humus and some grit suit it best. Nor does it like too much shade. There's a beautiful pure white form too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arilnut

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2010, 01:31:39 AM »
Lesley. Anacrusis is an Arilbred by Harald Mathed of Germany. Registered in 1992.
This is the parentage -   Dresden Gold X T-IA-M:  ((I. iberica x I. auranitica) x I. mellita).

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

arilnut

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2010, 04:29:30 AM »
Sorry for typo. That should read "Harald Mathes"

Lesley. Anacrusis is an Arilbred by Harald Mathed of Germany. Registered in 1992.
This is the parentage -   Dresden Gold X T-IA-M:  ((I. iberica x I. auranitica) x I. mellita).

John B
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
Gerhard, where should I start? There are so many super plants in your postings and so many questions I want to ask. Can you say something more about anacrusius? Where does it come from and is that normal colouring? Is it close to, e.g. pumila?

The Cypriot pictures are wonderful. Tall, elegant plants which are very attractive. I hope you will collect seed off as many of all these irises as possible and send some to AGS and SRGC exchanges.
Dear Lesley,

John has explaind the origin of Iris Anacrusius.

I have obtained, that darkness of colouration depends on the temperature while the anthesis and differs every year a little bid. This year Anacrusius blooms very dark, and I have reduced the expose, because on the other side it won`t possible to see the beard on the pict.

Here is the pict of last year :  http://www.cypripedium.at/Fotoalbum%20Iridaceae/Aril%20Anacrusius.jpg

This  incident we find in other plants too, for example Magnolia or at Cypripedium reginae

I`ll do my best to distribute seeds....
Gerhard

www.cypripedium.at

arillady

Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Lesley I know what you mean about iris species being offered for sale - none in these parts at all. Robyn R of course and a few from Marcus but growing from seed seem to be the only way. Does make you feel as though you are alone in the wilderness sometimes.
I will try to get some seed of Iris moorcroftiana for you Lesley.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Iris and some Irids 2010
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
Wonderful collection Gerhard.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal