We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viewing photos on the Forum: click the pic!  (Read 14748 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Viewing photos on the Forum: click the pic!
« on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »
It seems that there are still visitors to the Forum pages who are not aware that, in the case of the smaller photos appearing on these pages, that it is possible to left-mouse- click on each photo to bring up a larger version of the shot for your interest and pleasure!

Think the photos look a bit small? Click the pic and see the difference!!     
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: Viewing photos on the Forum: click the pic!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »
A note also for sizing photos to post :
We always suggest a maximum of 760 x 505 pixels for regular forum photo postings.... long experience has told us that this is a size which can be readily viewed on the majority of monitors  without scrolling from left to right

Larger photos especially when posted in multiples, are very tricky to see properly , because the east-west scroll bar is displayed at the foot of the post and the need to go  up and  down as well as back and forth , in an attempt to catch the main focus of a shot proves very irritating to many viewers!

Pix 800  wide do not need too much scrolling to see the whole image, so many may be content to simply view what is initially shown on enlarging the picture...... but larger photos can effectively be impossible to "read" properly.  At least with the 760 by  505 maximum for landscape format, the reader has the pleasure of being able to see the entire image at once.
Again, I emphasise that we are aware from the majority of our feedback that readers prefer the "official" size photos!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
Just as an example, yesterday I posted an image in the Cyclamen thread and Irfanview tells me the file size was 3072 x 2048 x 24 (I have no idea what the '24' indicates but the rest shows a pretty large file. Irfanview also shows this was 1.27MB. Our new Forum system coped with this with no problem and reduce the image to post in the thread. I simply have no idea on pixel sizes?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

astragalus

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 02:02:37 PM »
Thanks Maggi, David. I'm still at sea.  I guess I'll have to stick to the old method which is time consuming.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »
Anne, I'm not clear which method you have been having problems with? There are, I think, three possible methods:

First, the old method where we would reduce the size of a picture image using picture manipulation software so as to reduce the size of the image to get it within Forum rules. (few of us use this now, I think?).

Second, use  the Forum re-sizing tool which many of us used prior to the new method being brought into use recently.

Third, the new method by which, by and large, pictures are reduced automatically. The large file I spoke about earlier was reduced automatically. All I did was click on the "Attachments and other options" link immediately under the block containing the words you want to post. That brings up the little box where you are asked to choose the "file" of the picture you want to post and once that information is in that little box all you do is click post. Nine times out of ten this will work without you having to do anything further.

If you can be a little clearer about which method you were trying to use it might be easier for us to help you along the way.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Posting photos on the Forum: NEWS!!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 07:38:04 PM »
About posting photos - I know the ease of loading pix to facebook is very tempting - along with all those "like" ticks - but  the SRGC Forum has undergone some changes recently and if using the  (attachimg=1)  code - with the square brackets (rather than the ones I've used to allow you to see without confusing the system with code) it is possible to attach  larger photo sizes which will be automatically resized to the page and open in the  text box.
I don't suggest  using huge  multi-MB file sizes - but  one can post much larger photos than previously - plus the size that photos are resized to on Facebook will transfer here perfectly.
 A couple of random examples .....

590427-1

The first photo above was originally 2592  x 3888 pixels and over 2MB and the 2nd was 1280  x 960  and 325KB  - they are now  466 x 700 and 52.8KB and 900 x 675 and 163 KB  !

So things are easier here  now than you might expect!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal