We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 217505 times)

Vinny 123

Re: wildlife
« Reply #1710 on: November 13, 2021, 03:39:43 PM »
You have wolves in Connecticut?

Coyote

ArnoldT

« Reply #1711 on: November 13, 2021, 03:41:48 PM »
Looks like a healthy one.  I guess plenty to eat with turkeys.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Vinny 123

« Reply #1712 on: November 13, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »
Looks like a healthy one.  I guess plenty to eat with turkeys.

:-)

Nik

« Reply #1713 on: November 13, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
Coywolf. We also have regular coyotes, red and grey foxes, fisher cats and bobcats.

Nik

« Reply #1714 on: November 13, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »
This particular one spent about two hours resting in our yard. Early in the morning.

brianw

« Reply #1715 on: November 13, 2021, 05:34:07 PM »
We have had a Fox and Muntjac in the garden in the last week or so. That is I saw them both. I suspect they are here almost every day/night. The fox was midday outside the window, just 10 feet or so from my wife preparing vegetables, the very pregnant Muntjac was at dawn and tripped the security light. 3 cock pheasants this week were debating who is going to be in charge this winter, although seed spilling off a feeder by a woodpecker took their mind of sex for a while.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Vinny 123

« Reply #1716 on: November 13, 2021, 05:44:51 PM »
Muntjac in the UK are now (have been for quite a while) persons non grata and laws have been ammended a long while back - release (even of rescued muntjac) is illegal..
They are one of (the only?) animal that can eat bluebells and they have actually wiped-out huge areas that have been known for bluebells since before records began.
They are unusual cervids as pairs keep together and breed year-round.

Maybe abhorrent to some here, but lots of folklore says that muntjac venison is premier cru amongst UK venison........personally, I'd far rather eat roe, fallow, even red/sika (in that order).

Nik

« Reply #1717 on: November 13, 2021, 06:04:11 PM »
I strongly recommend investing in a wildlife camera, because most of the activity (except birds) happens at night. Too bad videos cannot be shared here, but here are few screenshots from an interesting interaction not that long ago. The camera is at our lower deck, facing my Cymbidiums bench. The opossum did not want to have anything to do with the mother deer and the twins.

Nik

« Reply #1718 on: November 13, 2021, 07:27:07 PM »
We have had a Fox and Muntjac in the garden in the last week or so. That is I saw them both. I suspect they are here almost every day/night. The fox was midday outside the window, just 10 feet or so from my wife preparing vegetables, the very pregnant Muntjac was at dawn and tripped the security light. 3 cock pheasants this week were debating who is going to be in charge this winter, although seed spilling off a feeder by a woodpecker took their mind of sex for a while.
That’s a great picture of a fox, brianw!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #1719 on: November 14, 2021, 12:53:06 AM »
I strongly recommend investing in a wildlife camera, because most of the activity (except birds) happens at night. Too bad videos cannot be shared here, but here are few screenshots from an interesting interaction not that long ago. The camera is at our lower deck, facing my Cymbidiums bench. The opossum did not want to have anything to do with the mother deer and the twins.

You can post a link to a youtube video, Nik, if you have a channel there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #1720 on: December 20, 2021, 02:09:20 PM »
I was looking out of the kitchen door (1126hrs on 16.12.2021) whilst awaiting the kettle to boil for a pot of tea when I espied a Long-eared owl perching on the washing line. I managed to take some photographs before it flew off some four minutes later. I've been lucky to now have all four of Britain's native owls in the garden or flying over.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 04:16:12 PM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Vinny 123

« Reply #1721 on: December 20, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »
I've been lucky to now have all four of Britain's native owls in the garden or flying over.

Only four natives? Barn, tawny, long-eared, short-eared, snowy, although the snowy may have died-out again (RSPB refused permission - they are the experts authority advising DEFRA on all thins avian - for release of unrelated captive-bred stock for several years).

ian mcdonald

« Reply #1722 on: December 20, 2021, 05:24:00 PM »
There was a Snowy Owl in the Cairngorms a few weeks back, for a few days.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1723 on: December 21, 2021, 11:09:11 AM »
Snowy owls do not stay in one place. They migrate from one place to another. The "Norwegian" snow owls belong to the same population as the ones in Siberia, and even Alaska.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #1724 on: December 21, 2021, 11:16:04 AM »
A flock of whooper swans has taken a rest on the frozen pond. They have stayed some time now. The pond froze over yesterday so maybe they will leave .

697945-0
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal