We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Primula / Re: Primula 2024
« Last post by kris on Today at 12:05:49 PM »
I am vacationing around the western part of Himalayas for the last 9 days with my husband. The weather is not cooperating well. It is raining off and on. Somehow managed to go for few hikes in between. Today is one of those days. Today visited the Solang valley that is closer to Rohtang pass which is around 13f feet high. The Solang valley is around 8.5K feet high. The pass is closed because of the heavy snow fall. On the way I have seen lots of Primula denticulata.Here are some pictures
1. Western Himalaya mountain
2. Primula denticulata habitat
3. Primula denticulata plant
All Welcome- Entry free!!

SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: SRGC Events 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on Today at 11:13:25 AM »

Nurseries attending will be Ardfearn and Solstice.
Meconopsis / Re: Meconopsis 2024
« Last post by Margaret Thorne on Today at 10:42:04 AM »
No back-crossing, it's the only Meconopsis in my mother's garden... They're from a cross I made back in 2009 or so, I sold a bunch of them thinking it was regular punicea before realizing I had succeded. (One full pod of seeds out of some 10 attempt.) Some are loosely clumping, some running, some pink and some purple.

It's not very fertile, I have some 10 seedlings out of maybe 100 decent looking seeds collected 2019-23, although there's a chance more will germinate next year.

Thanks, that's really interesting.
« Last post by Margaret Thorne on Today at 10:33:08 AM »
And typical Scottish winters are cold & long enough?

We know more about the requirements of M. punicea than other species because one of our members did an experiment sowing a set number of seeds every month and carefully recording the results; he found that early sowings were more successful than later ones.
As far as other species are concerned, I think all Meconopsis seed needs cold, though storage in the 'fridge before sowing seems to suffice. Once sown, ours then germinates in a couple of months. So, seed sown in February will germinate in April at the same time as seed sown the previous summer and with similar success. For the majority of species, therefore, there doesn't seem to be any advantage in sowing as soon as the seed is ripe (which then has to be looked after for longer to make sure it doesn't dry out). More detailed experimentation might find there are other species like M. punicea (maybe M. quintuplinervia?), but the majority of those more commonly grown don't appear to be.
« Last post by arisaema on Today at 10:17:17 AM »
M. xcookei has always been described as sterile, so it would be very interesting to see photos of your plants when they flower. Could they have back-crossed with either of the parents?

No back-crossing, it's the only Meconopsis in my mother's garden... They're from a cross I made back in 2009 or so, I sold a bunch of them thinking it was regular punicea before realizing I had succeded. (One full pod of seeds out of some 10 attempt.) Some are loosely clumping, some running, some pink and some purple.

It's not very fertile, I have some 10 seedlings out of maybe 100 decent looking seeds collected 2019-23, although there's a chance more will germinate next year.

Old gallery here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.330369960427523&type=3

...and a couple of divisions flowering in Denmark now:

« Last post by Margaret Thorne on Today at 09:46:14 AM »
They often did in Norway if sown too late in winter, so I'm hopeful, even if the climate is a bit milder here - x cookei was sown a month earlier and they have germinated from old seeds, if admittedly not very well. It may be that fresh seeds lack deep dormancy?

M. xcookei has always been described as sterile, so it would be very interesting to see photos of your plants when they flower. Could they have back-crossed with either of the parents?
Looking forward to our FREE Plant Show in Bearsden  next Saturday.  Plant Nurseries attending will be Ardfearn, Hartside, and Macplants Nursery and our SRGC  members' plant stall. Don't forget the unforgettable teas and cakes!  See you there.
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Mike Ireland on April 28, 2024, 08:47:58 PM »
Cassiope wardii
Dicentra cuccularia
Still cool & damp so the plants are lasting in flower for so much longer.
Plant Identification Questions and Answers / Re: Seen today
« Last post by Graham Catlow on April 28, 2024, 05:41:21 PM »
I knew it wouldn’t be long before someone identified it for me.
Many thanks arisaema.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal