We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11195 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: Autumn 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:16 AM »
Yeah, wasn't lost on me either.

Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Michael

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
Thank you very much! That website surely has a lot of good information, just the way i like it!!!

By the way, together with the calendar i also received this nice card. I know the upper stems are the Kangaroo paw, but what about the nodding flowers with seedpods forming?

"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2009, 11:26:19 AM »
Mike,

Lechenaultia biloba, Actinotus helianthi and on even rarer occasions Swainsona formosa can be found at times in nurseries, but they are by no means common, at least not in my area anyway.  I grow Lechenaultia biloba myself, and have tried Actinotis a couple of times unsuccessfully.  I have seen the Actinotis in cut flower arrangements from time to time as well.  Seeds of the Swainsonia are available at the ANBG.

The nodding tubular flower you mention in the painting is Blandfordia, common name of 'Christmas Bells' here as that is it's flowering time.  The Waratah (Telopea sp.) pics are beautiful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
Howdy All,

Some pics taken yesterday and today in my garden.....

Please click on the pic to enlarge.

116369-0

116371-1

116373-2
A selection of double forms of Aster nova-belgii (I think that is the right spelling), or what we call "Easter Daisies" because of their flowering around Easter.

116375-3
The Beaugainvillea is still in flower (it hasn't been out of flower since I posted the first pics back in around September/October), although looking a bit ratty after the heat a few weeks ago and some solid winds recently.

116377-4
Some autumn colour.... this a Cornus florida that is turning briliant shades of orange and red at the moment.

116379-5

116381-6
One of the smaller species types.... Gladiolus montanus.  Delightful little thing only 8 or so inches tall for me.  Lovely shade of pink, with great form and size to the flowers.

116383-7
Nerine rosea is in full flower right now, with a number of different species showing buds.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:18:41 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:52 AM »
116387-0

116389-1
This has started flowering for me, but I can't remember the name.  It is something like Ipheion subhirtellum I think, but it was given to me without a nametag.  I received a spring and autumn flowering yellow Ipheion from Fermi last year, but neither of these are flowering as yet (but both have put up leaves now... should they be?).  The one in the pic put up flowers before any signs of leaves, now the leaves are appearing as well.  Very small flowers, less than 2cm across.  Gloriously bright yellow, with a reddish rib down the back of the outer petals.  Any ideas as to name?

116391-2
Oxalis perdicaria has started.

116393-3
Pelargonium reniiforme does well for me, and has been flowering for some time.  Small, soft, kidney-shaped leaves are topped by long stems holding these bright magenta flowers.  An absolute gem!!

I'll post some other pics within the Cyclamen area shortly, plus I have posted a pic in the orchid section of the Aussie native Eriochilus cuculata.  Enjoy!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 12:32:47 PM »
Paul,

Plenty of colour in the garden, looking very well. Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
Very nice, Paul. The new camera is performing admirably!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
Anne and Paddy,

Glad you're enjoying them.  Yes, the new camera is great, although the shrinking process loses some of the beautiful clarity that I get from it, so I guess you can't really see much difference between these shots and the ones from my previous camera.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 09:00:37 PM »
Lovely pics Paul, new camera obviously working a treat. What make and type are you using?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »
Paul,
nice pics; I especially like the Gladdie - do you have a pic of the entire plant?
The Ipheion may be I. hirtellum which is one of the ones I gave you as well; I think it's now classified as a nothoscordum.
The Sternbergias have started here; firstly S. sicula
117080-0

117082-1

117084-2
And the larger S. lutea,
117086-3

117088-4

117090-5
And since I had to move one of the S.sicula I took a pic for comparison,
117092-6
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2009, 03:01:15 AM »
Also flowering are the yellow spider lilies, Lycoris aurea,
117094-0

117096-1

117098-2
And its "cousin" from Sth Africa, Nerine fothergilla "Major"
117100-3

A couple of blooms on Colchicum lingulatum,
117102-4
And also hidden by its neighbour, a white Cyclamen graecum
117104-5
which got cleaned up a bit the next day,
117106-6

cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:32 AM »
Good show Fermi and Paul !
Impressive Autumn colours !!!!
Thanks for sharing !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 09:58:53 AM »
Fermi,

I'll try to take a pic of the Gladdie at some point.  They're pretty ratty plants because they haven't been repotted for a few years, but they still flower fine.  I should be able to spare a corm if you're wanting one, although that always will depend on what happens between now and their dormancy of course.

Luc,

Glad you're liking the pics.

David,

It is a new Panasonic Lumix, a bit higher level than the previous one I had.  I can give you more details if you're wanting them?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 08:48:50 PM »
Thanks Paul but I will not be changing cameras for some time yet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
Howdy All,

Some late additions, taken in the last couple of days of March.......

Click on the pic to see larger version.

117987-0
Biarum dispar, smelling slightly off.  Cute little thing though.

117989-1
This is the pic that Fermi requested of the whole plant of Gladiolus montanus.  Ratty plant due to neglect as I said, but gives you the idea.

117991-2

117993-3
This is the pink form of Habranthus estensis, both a full shot and a closeup of the throat.  Yesterday (the 1st of April) my white form opened as well.  I'll post a pic in the April topic.

117995-4
Nerine fothergillii minor

117997-5
Another small flush of flowers on my Rhodophiala bifida that only sets one or two flowers per stem.  I can't remember whether I posted this here previously, or whether it was in the Amaryllidaceae section?

I'll add a couple of other pics in specific areas as well (Cyclamen, Crocus etc).

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 11:34:37 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal