We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: ants control  (Read 1231 times)

John85

ants control
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:06:18 AM »
How do you control the ants in the rock garden?
Insecticide powders are effective but I am reluctant to use them as my cat likes to have a nap on the hot stones(he says that he is protecting my bulbs)
I tried boxes with a toxic bait but they were not effective.May be the bait is not attractive or the poison strong enough.
I can use boiling water on the paths but not between the plants.
Has somebody made his own baits?

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
Re: ants control
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
I use this stuff http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/home-defence-ant-stop-granules which does a good job of killing them. 
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

illingworth

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
For ant control I have used a mixture of 1/2 Borax and 1/2 powdered sugar, or icing sugar.  It can be sprinkled on the ground, perhaps with an upturned plant saucer over it to protect it from rain.  It won't kill the ants instantly, but it is said that they carry the mixture back into the anthill where it is consumed.

Last year I put the mixture in a small plastic container with a lid, and with access holes cut into it, which I put at the bottom of a metal pole that ants kept climbing to get into my hummigbird feeder (oil or vaseline on the pole had failed to keep them away). End of problem.  I have heard that it can also be made into a solution with water but I haven't tried that.

Sharon
Rob and Sharon,
Our garden at http://www.flickr.com/photos/illingworth/
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

katijah2

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
Oh gee,

In the mid summer I had these on the kitchen worktop, took me a week or so to get rid of them.

They don't like talcum powder so I had presumed they came up the drain pipe through the gap into the worktop so I covered a cloth with talc and jammed up the hole...no more ants in the kitchen.

There was something else I used but I can't remember what it was, anyway they stopped coming in the kitchen after that.

I noticed they were also down the cracks in the patio under the bedroom window, so I poured neat bleach and then the talc again. There was'nt as many after that, they took up another corner down the garden...persistent little????? ;D

John, I hav'nt heard they do plants any harm but be vigilant. If a plant looks poorly check its root system, pretty soon they will be back in the nest for the winter.

I picked up a drum of Ant killer from Homebase, it costs £5.00.

John85

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
Thank you all.I'll try the Borax if I can find some.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal