We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dianella tasmanica  (Read 627 times)

brianw

Dianella tasmanica
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:04:33 PM »
Although I am very fond of this plant for its numerous bright blue berries at this time of the year; it is a bit of a thug once it starts spreading by its far reaching runners. They come up some way from the main clump; often amongst something else. In my case usually the larger irises. I aim to move it this autumn but wonder what its behaviour is going to be on a slope of ~1 in 4. Will it go all ways, up, down and sideways of will the slope confuse it? Will it have a preference for any particular direction on a slope? The slope faces west. Heavy stoney chalky soil.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

MarcR

Re: Dianella tasmanica
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 05:26:35 AM »
brianw,

I confine mine in a cylinder of 1" x8' chicken wire.  The wire is soon completely covered, so it is not unsightly.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Dianella tasmanica
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2023, 07:54:29 PM »
To let folk see the plant in question .... from elsewhere in the forum, by John W in Canada

-worth noting perhaps that some people regard this as a weed  ??? :-[

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal