We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium 2010  (Read 47869 times)

Graham Catlow

Re: Lilium 2010
« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:59 PM »
Lilium I think it's 'Ebony' but I'm not totally sure.

Graham
Graham, I think the name of your plant is not o.k.
L. Ebony has a Turkish Cap form (so I found out in the Lily Register.)
I got my bulbs 2 years with the name Lancini, which is not right too.
It was in a parcel from a post-order firm and given to me. It's rather dark in the garden, so not every ones taste.
The right name is: Lilium Landini.
Here two pics for comparison.

Hi Luit,
Many thanks for the identification. Ebony was the closest I could find but I wasn't sure. I couldn't remember buying Ebony and thought perhaps the lily was a name I wouldn't have remembered. So Landini seems the correct name. Do you know when it was introduced.

Citronella is really nice.

Graham
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:24:56 PM by Maggi Young »
Bo'ness. Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »
I use Alstroemeria 'Red Baron' and Penstemons 'Firebird' and 'Garnet' in my red bed and also several Cosmos atrosanguinea and the red leaved grass Imperata cylindrica as well as a couple of dahlias, 'Bishop of LLandaff' and a spiky, blood-red cactus form. There are other things too including some purple reds and orangey reds but no pinky shades.

Unfortunately, this red bed is still in my mind. It's been there for years.::) One day.....

::)  8)  ???  :o  Oh Lesley, you had me fooled, I was imagining this amazing bed full of hot coloured plants growing so well together  ;D ;D

Yes Lesley you had me fooled too.  ???i was hoping we were going to get a photo of that wonderful combination. You really should put that together. :)
Graham

Well it seems I'm to have an extra 8 hours per week for gardening (see "Moan, Moan...") so perhaps by next year there will be something material to see.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:31:14 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2010, 12:59:35 PM »
Lilium auratum.

Gorgeous lily, Giles, all those speckles in the creamy trumpet - so elegant looking  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
Citronella is glorious Luit especially in your planting with red leaves behind and purple flowers around.  Against the sky they make a fine display  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 01:09:24 PM by Maggi Young »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
Well it seems I'm to have an extra 8 hours per week for gardening (see "Moan, Moan...") so perhaps by next year there will be something material to see.

We do hope so!

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2010, 11:31:54 AM »
Luit

I really like the citronella,a very fine plant.

Here is Lilium chalcedonicum in flower
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Pascal B

« Reply #261 on: July 23, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »
Lilium leichtlinii var. maximowiczii. I am not that keen on orange flowers but this is a nice one.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Thanks to all for the wonderful lily pictures they ars all just great, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2010, 07:34:08 PM »
Lilium fargesii (2cm diameter)
''Yellow tigrinum''

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2010, 07:45:03 PM »
Very nice Giles, how tall is L. fargesii please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #265 on: July 23, 2010, 07:50:18 PM »
It would have been about 3' if I had got round to staking it (  ;D), so probably only of botanical curiosity value.
It doesn't smell very nice.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:58:31 PM by Giles »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #266 on: July 23, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
TVM. It looks good though, in an under-stated sort of way :-\
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Pascal B

« Reply #267 on: July 23, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »
It would have been about 3' if I had got round to staking it (  ;D), so probably only of botanical curiosity value only.
It doesn't smell very nice.

Giles, I don't know if we are talking about the same species I posted some pix of a week ago but my plants of L. fargesii do smell VERY nice. Are you sure your plant doesn't smell very nice?!
The second plant of this species I got in flower had the same amount of spotting as the flower on your picture by the way.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #268 on: July 23, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »
....I think it's personal preference..... I don't like the fragrance of any lily, (nor any bulb when I come to think of it) but think border phloxes are wonderful....(which most people dislike).

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #269 on: July 24, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
To be honest, I can't really understand what the difference is between L. bakerianum var. aureum and var. delavayi. The plant on my pictures on the previous page I have labeled as L. bakerianum var. delavayi because I thought it wasn't the clear yellow var. aureum is supposed to be but are var. delavayi and var. aureum not simply part of the same colour variation range? And var. rubrum the form in all shades of pink? Or are there more differences besides colour?

Sorry to be so long in posting this.  According to Drysdale, Woodcock & Stearn "Lilies of the World", Forrest found both L bakerianum var aureum and var delavayi in north Yunnan.  He described var aureum as 'of a rich golden-yellow throughout, minutely speckled purple on the interior from the base to the very tips of the segments'.  His field notes re var delavayi indicate the ground colour as ranging from dull olive-green and palish greenish yellow to olive-brown, with reddish purple maroon or crimson spots on the inside of the bell-shaped flower.
Does this help?
Liz

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal