We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne  (Read 12709 times)

astragalus

Re: Daphne
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »
Maggi, David, Cyril et al:  I spoke with Harvey Wrightman yesterday and told him many people were interested in growing Daphne velenovskyi 'Balkan Rose'.  He does have it but he has just moved and is building a new nursery.  You might have to wait a bit to let him catch up on his propagating but it will become available to you in the next year or so.  I just checked mine yesterday during the usual garden tour and it had small flowers still.  Harvey says he has had the same experience with it blooming on and off even during the cold.  The ground has hardened with all the frost and it's amazing to see flowers.  Didn't have the camera with me because I wasn't expecting to see anything worth photographing - I just usually check for deer damage, they seem to regard daphnes as caviar.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »
Good to hear there is hope for getting the plant from Wrightman's in time .  For some updates about their move, see here  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12091.msg319722#msg319722
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Many thanks for that Anne, I'll look forward to it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
Maggi, David, Cyril et al:  I spoke with Harvey Wrightman yesterday and told him many people were interested in growing Daphne velenovskyi 'Balkan Rose'.  He does have it but he has just moved and is building a new nursery.  You might have to wait a bit to let him catch up on his propagating but it will become available to you in the next year or so.  I just checked mine yesterday during the usual garden tour and it had small flowers still.  Harvey says he has had the same experience with it blooming on and off even during the cold.  The ground has hardened with all the frost and it's amazing to see flowers.  Didn't have the camera with me because I wasn't expecting to see anything worth photographing - I just usually check for deer damage, they seem to regard daphnes as caviar.
Anne, thank you for this update.  Do you have any information on this plant?  I presume it originally came from Bulgaria or Macedonia, so it is surprising it appears not to be in cultivation in Europe.  Another problem will be shipping as Herman said Harvey Wrightman does not ship to Europe.
Cyril
Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2015, 02:10:56 PM »
Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' picured today in a very wet garden. I noticed her first flowers this year on 30 November and if she is true to her normal form there will still be some, as well as some scent in early April.

Readers of this thread will know that he I bought her as a very small plant in 2008 and she took her time before she first flowered. Someone in the household, and it's not me, thinks she has got pretty shabby now and needs a good haircut and intends to do it when she has finished flowering! So this could be her last flowering year...........? I've also pictured her as she was in 2012 so she's done a bit of growing since then.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
Winter is just around the corner will probably prune some bits as snow and ice soon, or is it Banana belt with you? cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2016, 07:16:09 PM »
Could anyone help with with an ID please (another lost label!)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2016, 12:43:28 PM »
Hard to tell with Daphne's but judging by the habit of growth and the foliage I would hazard a  guess that it is Spring sonnet. Does that ring a bell with you. ?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
It doesn't ring any bells Michael. I have had the plant for a couple of years and I haven't a clue where I bought it from, just a possibility though that I got it from the South West AGS Show. If so then I might have bought it from Robin White.

Since your post I've looked it up and from what I've seen the leaves on mine are a dead ringer for 'Spring Sonnet'. Provided I don't kill it in the meantime I'll tip you off when I have a flower on it. Many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »
Hi Michael, hope you see this and remember the topic.  Just noticed today that there are a smattering of flowers on the plant so will try to get a picture of them, although it will be Monday before I get a chance.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »
Yep. I am watching. :) :) :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
Michael, is this any good?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2016, 05:47:35 PM »
Yes David, I am still sticking with Spring Sonnet

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2016, 08:37:15 PM »
OK Michael, that's good enough for me, many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2016, 09:01:13 PM »
 :) :) :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal