We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne  (Read 12710 times)

angie

Daphne
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
Just wandering can I grow dwarf Daphnes in my greenhouse. I have a bed in my greenhouse that has succulents in it and I want to do away with these. Just thought these small daphnes would be nice in there.
Some advice would be welcomed .

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Daphne
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »
A greenhouse bed is probably the ideal place to grow dwarf daphnes. They like glass cover to keep the rain off, will appreciate the free root run of a bed rather than being in pots, and a glasshouse is the best place to enjoy their scent. I used to love visiting Joe Elliott's nursery near here when his stock plants of Daphne petraea were in flower. The smell in his daphne glasshouse was amazing.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »
My Daphnes have all suffered this year. Their flowers are bleaching. Is the sun doing it?, the warmth or rain?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:51:07 PM »
Angie - I agree with Martin.  I have a clone of D. x  hendersonii in a large pot in my plunge.  It has merrily rooted through the base into the plunge and is now immovably established.  It thrives!  I have taken cuttings which do OK in a pot inside but do not do so well outside, tried raised bed and troughs with poor results.  I would plant yours in the bed and enjoy them there!

Good luck!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Well worth buying is Robin White's book "Daphnes: A practical Guide for Gardeners" Published by Timber Press 2006. It has a good section on cultivation under cover. Even more so worth while given the price of Daphnes so it's costly to make mistakes.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »
I bought this Daphne today as D. sericea.
From the pictures I've seen on the internet D. sericea should be smaller and be more of a cushion type plant. Mine is about 60 cm tall, with variegated leaves. Any idea what it might be? If it is D. sericea, how hardy is it considering it is of Mediterranean origin?
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »
Some information from Robin White's book Razvan:-

"Turkish plants have a sturdy upright habit which produces a plant 1.2-1.5M in hight, somewhat less in width, while the Cretan forms are bushier and more compact, reaching 1-1.2M in height and width"

"Areas which experience long, dry summers without too cold a winter would find this a useful, drought-tolerant, evergreen shrub."

"The hardiness of plants is almost certain to vary according to their origins. I suspect that the less hardy forms will not survive long periods below -10C, while plants from an area such as the Omalos Plateau on Crete may well tolerate temperatures down to -17C "
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
I have the bed ready for planting tomorrow. Got out all the succulents and Agave's out. Had my first disaster. I had the tray of Daphne's balanced on the edge of the bench and I knocked the whole lot down, that's three Daphne's that I will have to wait till they flower to put the labels next to them. God I am hopeless.

David that book seems familiar to me. Not sure if I have just heard about it or is in our club library. Guess who has the library books  ::) ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
Martin - that reference to Joe Elliott brings back precisely the same memory - I even have an old photograph of Daphne petraea 'Grandiflora' in that greenhouse! Outside was a shallow raised bed with Daphne cneorum. I agree they are likely to make wonderful, and probably often much more free-flowering plants under glass (or in a polytunnel which is where Robin White grows many). But I am having quite good success with several forms of x hendersonii outside on our sand bed, and some do really well in tufa.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »
Thank you David. Such a promt answer. I guess I will come back when the flowers open, see if they match the sericea type.
I ask about hardiness because apparently this plant was imported from Hungary, but it withstood the -25C we had in January, just in that pot (if I can trust the seller) with no protection.

Whatever species it is, I am glad I found it. Daphnes are very seldom seen in garden centers here.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »
If I could travel back in time a visit to Joe Elliott's nursery would be high on my wish list, together with seeing Huddersfield Town win The Cup 8)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
Tim, yes I certainly didn't mean to suggest that the small daphnes can't be grown outside. Robin grows them well outdoors as well as under cover. The three things I remember most about Joe Elliott's nursery are the Daphne petraea in the glasshouse, the Primula allionii in another, and the frames full of Gentiana verna.

Darren

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 08:20:50 PM »
Well worth buying is Robin White's book "Daphnes: A practical Guide for Gardeners" Published by Timber Press 2006. It has a good section on cultivation under cover. Even more so worth while given the price of Daphnes so it's costly to make mistakes.

Superb book - the AGS were selling it very cheaply at the Ponteland show last year so I snapped one up.

You are showing excellent taste in plants Angie!

Happy to say even here in the cold damp North West virtually every Daphne we have tried (and that is a lot - we both love Daphnes  :) ) does well for us out in the garden - on a west facing slope on extremely well drained soil on limestone. I have my few precious plants of petraea and arbuscula under protection but x hendersonii is perfectly happy on a raised bed outside and flowers well. Cneorum 'Velky Kosir' is really well flowered this year after the winter of 2010/2011 killed the Dierama which was shading it. In fact I had real trouble finding non-flowering shoots to send to a forumist who wanted grafting material.

I really regret never being able to visit either Joe Elliot's nursery, or Robin White's.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:07:38 PM »
I miss Robin's nursery, Darren. I used to love calling in there and always coming away with a boot full of lovely things even when I meant to buy very little. It was soooooo easy to just pick up rare dwarf daphnes and plop them in the basket. So tempting. Wish there was another nursery within reasonable driving distance with the sort of range of delicious daphnes that Robin sold.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »
If I could travel back in time a visit to Joe Elliott's nursery would be high on my wish list, together with seeing Huddersfield Town win The Cup 8)
The pre-confrerence tour in 1981 went to Broadwell Alpines, a most magical place. Must dig out the ancient photos and have another look.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal