We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring weather 2012  (Read 15367 times)

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
Re: Spring weather 2012
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
While waiting for better weather you can join on this 1 1/2 hours drive in western Norway filmed last week. Parts of the road opened last week after being closed in winter. It is still snow in the mountains! The more than 100km drive takes you from mountains to fjords. The best part however is the last 15 minutes ;)

Oh for a motorbike,or open top sports car ;)  Last 15 mins are spectacular.  Thanks for sharing
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »
Just had torrential rain here 25mm fell in 15 minutes.  The drains can't take it and some roads are flooded to more than 50cm in places and manhole covers in the road were lifted on fountains of water.  I've got to go out again now, wish me luck  ::)   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
Just had torrential rain here 25mm fell in 15 minutes.  The drains can't take it and some roads are flooded to more than 50cm in places and manhole covers in the road were lifted on fountains of water.  I've got to go out again now, wish me luck  ::)   
Crikey!  Now I really wish I had bought you that snorkel for Christmas.......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
Crikey!  Now I really wish I had bought you that snorkel for Christmas....... 

At the moment, what I really need is an ark
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
Seems odd, but your wish is my command........
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »
the rain here last night was the worst I have ever seen. We had 40+mm in an hour. I was driving when it arrived after being out to twitch two birds. The rain was coming down so hard the spray made driving difficult. It was dark at 9pm!! :o Fllods on every road. East Belfast was hit very bad.

This all came after a brilliant day yesterday. The temp was 25.5c
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »
Dry all day here (so far) but always looked as if it was going to rain. Managed to get all my Cyclamen re-potted.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2012, 08:43:37 PM »
Is it Spring, Summer or Autumn here?  Polyanthus Garnet Cowichans and Gold laced are putting up new flower spikes but a Cyclamen hederifolium in the greenhouse has started flowering and there are flower buds on a couple of acis autumnalis.  The plants are as confused as we are.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

jomowi

« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:10 PM »
How lucky can you be? Yesterday I went walking with the Ramblers in E. Lothian.  The forecast was for heavy rain and very few turned up because of it.  Result? No rain, not a breath of wind, pleasant temp. and the sun even came out for a while.  Added to which the walk from Aberlady Bay to Gullane had stunning views and the wildflowers were superb.  The only rain was on the way home and it had been raining most of the day in Linlithgow.

Today, with an equally bad forecast for heavy rain (warnings on the motorway electronic boards for same), I went to Cupar in Fife to visit a Club member.  Admittedly a foggy journey, but the only rain was a  shower when going round her garden.  Most years she complains about the lack of rain - this year it is the opposite, but she finds some things are flourishing as never before because of the wet conditions.  On returning to L. I found again that it had been raining here most of the day. 
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

angie

« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
Lucky you Maureen, today its been foggy here and we have had some showers, nothing like I was expecting, maybe its still to come.
Hubbies golf was cancelled and he hasn't stopped moaning all night, its mild and dry out there tonight. Last Thursday when he came back I could have rung him out, so much for his expensive galvin green waterproofs, Can you imagine anything more daft than walking around in torrential rain hitting a small white ball  ::) :-X
No pictures of your nice walk.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »
Well, the rain Diane was experiencing at midday arrived in Newcastle in time for the rush hour. My 20 minute journey home from work eventually took 2 hours 25 minutes due to the flooding and subsequent traffic congestion - the sun was shining by the time I reached home.
The astonishing thing was the degree of flooding in every little hollow in the road - on top of a hill!! - the drain covers were being lifted up here also.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #221 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
My son lives in Hinckley, Leicestershire, and the motorcycle factory where he works was hit by enormous hailstones. Afterwards all the cars in the car park were severely damaged. Don't like to think about peoples' greenhouses.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
Wow! :o I hope you rushed inside and made yourself a gin and tonic. Those shouldn't go to waste! ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

jomowi

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »

No pictures of your nice walk.

Angie  :)

No, Angie, - I don't take the camera on walks.  If you stop you get left behind.  It is very frustrating - the Ramblers are very single minded i.e. getting from A to B, - they seem completely oblivious to what is around them.  Echium vulgare, for instance, was at its peak, plentiful and looking stunning, but it was not until near the end of the walk that a particularly large stand of it stopped them in their tracks and they stood puzzling as to what it could be until I caught up with them and put them right. (I stayed with Viper's bugloss as far as they were concerned!) Plenty of Dactylorhiza purpurella too, although mostly past its best.  Again, not a single comment on this or any other flora. I did enlighten them about the Northern Marsh orchid, but "orchid" alone would have done as far as they were concerned.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
So, farewell June and Spring, you'll not be missed. 24 rain days in June here.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal