General Subjects > General Forum

Trough making

(1/13) > >>

John85:
In his bulbblog n° 38 / 2008 Ian showed us how to make a trough with a fish box.Four years later I wonder how they are.Was the"making holes in the polystyrene" method as good as the"wrapping with wire mesh" method in withstanding hard frost?
Do you wrap only the outside of the box with the mesh or also the inside?
Where there any problems or things that could be improved?

mark smyth:
John I never wrap my polystyrene boxes in mesh. I have 42 and all are perfect except one. Half the front fell off after the thaw in December 2010. It would be the one that most people can see

Ian Y:
John - they are doing very well indeed standing up to some of the worst winters we have had without any harm at all.

I have shown updates in various bulb logs through the years showing how the cement has aged and looks more like real stone as time passes.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2009Nov181258556803BULB_LOG__46_comp.pdf

I would never use the wire mesh way of wrapping polystyrene boxes - keying the cement through holes in the box as I demonstrated and have trialed is a much better method.

Ian Y:
A picture is worth a 1000 words so I have just taken a few pictures showing a range of troughs made using that method some from 2008 and some made last year.

mark smyth:
Ian at what stage do you make the stone effect?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version