We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 19/09/07  (Read 3570 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Bulb Log 19/09/07
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
Ian,

Great log.  I cut up venetians for larger labels but have never used them for smaller labels.  I really like the bend over at the top for ease of reading.  One thing I'd suggest to people who may be using labels that have any chance of becoming brittle, or pens that may fade, is to also write the information at the bottom end of the label.  This can't fade or break off (but it doesn't stop birds removing the label of course).  I've had labels fade above ground or break off, but I can almost always read what was left below ground.  I thought it might be worth mentioning for those who may not have thought of it.

The Crocus vallicola is rather delightful isn't it?  Those wonderfully fine purple stripes in the heart of it on the pristine white look great.  Reminds me somewhat of pulchellus, but the identifying bits are probably totally different!  ;D  That fine striping just reminded me of the species.

Again, great log.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Bulb Log 19/09/07
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:09 PM »
I showed the bit on the last Log about re-using old venetian blinds to the present Mrs. Nicholson. Her response was 'You don't know any old Venetians, and lay off my kitchen blinds' :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »

Paul good advice about the marking in the bottom I have had so many fade away. 8)

David knowing Your wife only through Your comment I would have expected her to ask for new blin so that You could use the old ones for labels. This shows it is not easy to figure out people.  :-[ ::)

BD Nice and inspiering log and great to have the feedback put into the log for a wider audience ;)
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »

David knowing Your wife only through Your comment I would have expected her to ask for new blin so that You could use the old ones for labels. This shows it is not easy to figure out people.  :-[ ::)

Joakim

Well Joakim, she likes to keep people guessing, she's had me guessing for 37 years and the present score is Maureen=37, Me=0 ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »
Gee, she's only scoring 1 per year?  You're having an easy life!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »
My thoughts, entirely, Paul... I reckon Maureen is letting him off very lightly... it must be love  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 11:39:39 PM »
Maggi,

Or David can't count!!  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Well, you see, the score was in years and not instances! Had it been instances it would need more than the resources available in the Forum software to record it ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
Well if you're talking YEARS then it's obvious.  I mean, what husband could ever hope to win a whole year versus the missus.  ;D  I tend to enjoy every small victory and prefer to think in the small picture, not the big picture.  The big picture just gets too depressing!!  ::)

Actually, I lost count years ago of how many points my wife scored.  I just keep track of mine now.  Sounds MUCH better that way!! 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 01:58:16 PM »
I KNEW the score was in years, and I STILL thought Maureen was being generous!! We women KNOW these things!! ::) 8) :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal