We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather winter 2011-12  (Read 32532 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Re: Weather winter 2011-12
« Reply #285 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
We have a tropical storm / cyclone headed our way! First one since 1987 (?)! Luckily we live quite far inland and south of its projected landfall, so its effects should be minimal - perhaps a little rain, which would be very welcome indeed.  :P
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #286 on: March 03, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »
The USA has just been hit with the worst tornado in March history. Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Alabama the worst hit. 29 dead....14 in Kentucky. Southern Indiana was the hardest hit with entire communities wiped out. We were very fortunate. A tornado touched down 18 miles north of us. The worst we had here was hail. One town, West Liberty, KY. had been hit on Wednesday by a previous tornado and took another direct hit again last night. Our prayers go out to our fellow Kentuckians and especially to our neighbors in Southern Indiana.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #287 on: March 03, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
It must be terrible to know the tornado is coming and you never know where it will touchdown. I heard the news and I think it is even not tornado season.
Happy, you are o.k.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2012, 02:02:42 PM »
Thanks Lina. Tornado season is early this year because we haven't had a normal winter. Too many warm fronts meeting up with cold fronts.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #289 on: March 03, 2012, 02:35:06 PM »
My oldest son and his family are living in Cincinnati, Ohio. They spend hours in their basement sometimes, waiting for the tornado to pass.
This one was very early, indeed.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

angie

« Reply #290 on: March 03, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »
The USA has just been hit with the worst tornado in March history. Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Alabama the worst hit. 29 dead....14 in Kentucky. Southern Indiana was the hardest hit with entire communities wiped out. We were very fortunate. A tornado touched down 18 miles north of us. The worst we had here was hail. One town, West Liberty, KY. had been hit on Wednesday by a previous tornado and took another direct hit again last night. Our prayers go out to our fellow Kentuckians and especially to our neighbors in Southern Indiana.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be. When I see those tornadoes they just put a chill down my spine. My American friends parents live in Oklahoma and they lost their barn a few years ago. I was amazed to see their basement and how organised they were. I suppose living with the threat of a Tornado hitting would make sure you were organised at all times.

So sad to see the pictures on our television. Glad to hear that you both are safe. My heart goes out to all those poor folks that have lost family and homes.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #291 on: March 03, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
Many thanks Angie...appreciate your kindness
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal