We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 43  (Read 1433 times)

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
Bulb log 43
« on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:11 PM »
 Vaccinum ovatum, new for me, seems an interesting subshrub at the same time for its foliage and its fruits  :D
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

bendgardener

• long winters and short summers
    • Bend Gardener
Re: Bulb log 43
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
I agree with Ian's monolog.  We must support the small nurseries and slowing educate our friends and family to the life style of being a gardener.  One of my earliest memories is helping my great grandmother in her garden.  I try to use the small nurseries when I can but the cost is high.  I often start with the more common plants and add specialty plants as focus plants in the landscape.  Most of the small growers are located 3 to 4 hours away from my home.  Long drive for a few plants. 
Bob Crain

elevation 4750 feet in Central Oregon Cascades
zone 5

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 05:28:47 PM »
"My plea is especially to the ‘younger’ ones – that is anyone under 55"

Now I'm just depressed.... :'(. Officially over the hill.

But seriously I agree with everything you say and do 'my bit' for our village garden club which, happily, can still get 50 people through the door some months but even in my now officially advanced years (no I'm not 60 for some time to come), I'm probably the second youngest member of the club. Our local AGS group is much the same.

I do know, however, that the modern pressures of working life do limit enthusiasm, and time, for extra curricular activities and that's from someone who hasn't had to raise children.

Solution.....alas I haven't got one except to keep trying.

Roma

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
When do you cut the stem of your Cardiocrinum, Ian?  The seed pods on mine are still quite green though the stem is brown.  I'd like to leave them on the plant as long as possible but I do not think they will ripen much further outside now.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »
What a beautiful autumn garden Ian.  As well as the fine plant combinations and views I like how well your boundaries are hidden 8)

Hasn't this been a great year for autumn colours (& berries)?  Hereabouts field maples and liquidambers began to turn at least 6 weeks ago and are still going strong.  Usually we get only a few days at most before an Atlantic storm strips them bare.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:55 PM »
accinum ovatum, new for me, seems an interesting subshrub at the same time for its foliage and its fruits 

Nicole It is a nice shrub giving evergreen interest with flowers, fruits and bright spring foliage. I am happy to send some fruits for seed if you would like.

When do you cut the stem of your Cardiocrinum, Ian?  The seed pods on mine are still quite green though the stem is brown.  I'd like to leave them on the plant as long as possible but I do not think they will ripen much further outside now.

Roma , I think the seed is perfectly ripe now it is just the seed pod and stem that dry out slowly before the capsules open to release the seed. I will 'crop' it when we start to get frosts. Or I may take one capsule now and another later to see which of the seeds germinates best.

Ashley well spotted I hate boundaries and have worked to soften them at least by careful planting.

Martin, you are only over the hill when you think like that so stop it at once - I am still a teenager at heart and many say I still behave that way.

Thanks for the agreement with my rant, sorry monolog, I really do believe that there is a lot to interest younger people if only we could lure them in the first place. I agree time is an issue and that is where the internet works you can do it anywhere now with the latest phones that connect.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal