We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: BULB LOG 26 - 29 June 2011  (Read 1256 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
BULB LOG 26 - 29 June 2011
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
Another excellent Bulb Log. 8) I just love those troughs. Not something I should be starting until I have a more permanent abode, but I'm sorely tempted. :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: BULB LOG 26 - 29 June 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:15 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, I am fascinated by troughs and they are portable Anthony  ;) ;D 8)
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
Ian,
I so much love your blog that this was my only consolation for leaving the beautiful Dolomites: I can read again Ian's blog.
There are many great blogs and garden diaries I follow on the net but yours is far the best one in my opinion. So much to learn, so good pictures and so beautiful troughs, not to speak about your garden which is just adorable. You made me to study better my plants and discover many interesting things. Thank you very much!!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:04:33 AM by Katherine J »
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Knud

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:53:54 PM »
Ian,
let me join Anthony and Katherine in praising last week's bulb log. The story of your troughs was interesting, and I enjoyed the introduction about the Rhodohypoxis. They thrive in our wet and cool summers, and clump up rapidly. Four years ago I started planting some out in the garden, like you have done, just to see how they would do. They did well the first two very wet winters, they did OK the third winter which was cold but with good snow cover. Last winter I was certain they would disappear, as it was the coldest on record here and no snow for the first six weeks, -a local builder told me the ground was frozen to 1 m (3') depth. In the last four weeks they have stated reappearing, reduced in number but still there. Most of those that survived are a deep rose coloured Tetra, but in one group some smaller (not tetra ?) soft pink are also back. The only one that hasn't bloomed yet this year is R. deflexa, but that is always much later than the others.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal