We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Deformed leaves and flower stems on candelabra primulas  (Read 1601 times)

Ken Dawson

Deformed leaves and flower stems on candelabra primulas
« on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »
My wife and I have been growing many species of primulas in our garden for several years now but last year and this year we have noticed that several of the candelabra primula plants have deformed leaves and stunted and crooked stems between the first and second tier of flowers. I include below a photo of a deformed leaf on one of these plants. Does any one know what might have caused this type of deformity?
Ken Dawson, Edinburgh, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Deformed leaves and flower stems on candelabra primulas
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:46:45 PM »
Hello Ken, it is good to have you begin posting..... what a pity it is with this problem, though.
With primulas there is always the possibility of virus, which can distort any or all parts of a plant but I think the problem here may be insect damage, in conjunction with some weather damage at certain stages of growth.  It's not always a question of one cause alone..... let's see what others have to say.....
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 08:07:52 PM »
My money's on insect damage, doesn't look terminal

Ken Dawson

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
With primulas there is always the possibility of virus, which can distort any or all parts of a plant but I think the problem here may be insect damage, in conjunction with some weather damage at certain stages of growth.  It's not always a question of one cause alone..... let's see what others have to say.....
Thank you Maggie for responding so promptly and for giving me the benefit of your knowledge and experience in this area - that is much appreciated.
My money's on insect damage, doesn't look terminal
... and thanks to you Martin for your take on this as well.

Ken Dawson

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 02:46:13 PM »
With primulas there is always the possibility of virus, which can distort any or all parts of a plant

A few days ago my wife took one of the affected primulas to the Royal Botanical Gardens here in Edinburgh for expert opinion from a plant pathologist. He thought that most probably the damage had been caused by a virus, possibly Cucumber Mosaic Virus. On his advice we have dug up and disposed of all the plants that seem to have been affected. We will be keeping a very close eye on the remaining primulas to see whether any of them develop suspicious signs. We were advised not to grow primulas for a couple of years in the areas of the garden from where the affected plants came.
On the positive side we now will have some room for the young salvias that we have raised from seed this year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 03:22:02 PM »
Ken, it is as well to have such problems properly diagnosed and to take that appropriate course. A shame to lose the primulas but I must applaud your quick action and positive outlook!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal