We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 19  (Read 1097 times)

Knud

Bulb Log 19
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:30:01 PM »
Thank you, Ian, for the tour of your wonderful garden in the last bulb log, -as enjoyable and interesting as every Bulb Log. This one helped me identify a few tree peonies we have had in the garden for 10-12 years, they must be P. delavayi. One is quite tall, over 1 m (3-4 feet) with clear red flowers, like in your photo. The other two are only half that height, and have dark red flowers. Otherwise they are similar. Thanks for the clue. One of the P. lutea ludlowii seedlings you gave me last autumn survived this horror of a winter we had. It seems to be doing fine, in a pot now, inspite of being heaved more or less completely out of the ground by the frost.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb Log 19
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:46 AM »
Knud so sorry not to have replied to you sooner but things have been hectic here for so long and are only settling down now so I can catch up with some of the back log of correspondence.

Thank you for your kind words - I am constantly amazed by how many people follow the bulb log.

P. lutea ludlowi is fully hardy in our garden having been through all the worst of our winters for over 25 years. We don't always collect the seeds so there are masses of seedlings all around the main plant that need weeded out. We like to find new homes for them before they are uprooted and they seem to transplant very well when they are young.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal