We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyananthus lobatus  (Read 1064 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Cyananthus lobatus
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:37:29 PM »
I flew into St. John's, Newfoundland at midnight last night in very dense fog, flights had been cancelled all day long.  In the botanical garden at noonish we came across Cyananthus lobatus of which I know nothing. A friend wondered if it roots as it touches the ground, how to propagate it and its cultural requirements.  It is certainly a fresh looking mound.  Returning home this afternoon at 11c the fog suddenly rolled out just as our incoming flight landed and then promptly came back in so we were able to take off and home by suppertime. Here 23c and finally sunshine.  The rest of the east is sweltering with Toronto at 35c and with the humidity feeeling like 43c.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:17:04 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Cyananthus lobatus
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Cyananthus lobatus is a real gem, a gorgeous plant and if you have a chance to get it, or a few cuttings (at this time of year) do so. It has large blue flowers and is happy where small primulas, rhodos etc are happy, cool, damp and humusy, with grit. It is late summer flowering and will set seed but never much, for me at least, and I lost mine a few years ago. It grows from a central mass of stems but they will gradually extend outwards and underground and can be removed well into the clump/mat, to make cuttings. Otherwise, tip cuttings root without much difficuolty.

Cyananthus integer is equally fine and C.microphyllus too, and C, longiflorus ever better, but tricky. There's a yellow from a Chadwell collection also well worth growing but not so good, in my opinion, as the blues. (C. longiflorus is deep violet.) There's a white form of C. lobatus at least, not the others so far as I know.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »
Thanks so much Lesley. It sounds delightful.  I will pass this information along and perhaps the BG will let us take a few tiny cuttings on the next trip.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 02:06:28 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 11:25:05 PM »
You need to take the cuttings before the buds form, or failing that, nip out the buds when you put the cuttings in.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal