We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythroniums from seed  (Read 1637 times)

alan jones

Erythroniums from seed
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »
Erythronium seed sown in 12/06 and 1/07 has grown well and is starting to show leaf markings.  I'd like to remove these plants from my frame and get them growing in the garden.  What is the best time to do this? 1. In growth, in perhaps a month or so when the weather is warmer? 2. When they have gone over? 3. Or wait another year? Fact is, I need the space in my frame for other bulbous plants.  Another point.  I've found the seed started off in 9cm square containers has done much better than that planted in 5 and six inch round plastic and clay pots.  All were re-potted a couple of years ago and given a light feed of bone meal feed annually.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Erythroniums from seed
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:57:45 PM »
Erythronium seed sown in 12/06 and 1/07 has grown well and is starting to show leaf markings.  I'd like to remove these plants from my frame and get them growing in the garden.  What is the best time to do this? 1. In growth, in perhaps a month or so when the weather is warmer? 2. When they have gone over? 3. Or wait another year? Fact is, I need the space in my frame for other bulbous plants.  Another point.  I've found the seed started off in 9cm square containers has done much better than that planted in 5 and six inch round plastic and clay pots.  All were re-potted a couple of years ago and given a light feed of bone meal feed annually.

If you handle them very carefully then you could plant them out now, Alan.
Ian planted out a batch the other day.  Otherwise you'd have to wait until they're dormant and waste another year when they could be getting fat in the garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal