We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 9/11  (Read 1203 times)

ThomaS

bulb log 9/11
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:37 PM »
Oh how nice to see the eruption of Aberdeen spring! Here in west central Sweden it is only about the fourth day of above freezing temperature since the snow descended on us in early November, and there are still huge amounts of it to melt. I guess it will be a few weeks until I get to see a Crocus or Snowdrop in the garden, and Leucojum or Rhododendron flowers are at least a month away. This is a good time to follow the bulb log.

Thomas Schultze
in Karlstad, Sweden
Thomas Schultze, Skoghall, Sweden, -25 C to +35 C
Alpines rule!

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: bulb log 9/11
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 02:59:02 PM »
It is very nice indeed Thomas and we are appreciating every minute of it as we could still be plunged back into winters grip.

I do hope that your spring comes soon and that it is a good one when it does.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

ThomaS

Re: bulb log 9/11
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
A nice spring would be a slow one that lets everything bloom in its own time. Two of the last three have suddenly erupted into a bout of summer temperatures in late April or in May. That caused some of the greenhouse bulbs to shut down for the season before they could produce enough of a bulb. Probably mostly because I was away over a weekend and did not get the greenhouse walls off to increase ventilation. This in combination with some unusually early, long and hard winters has reduced my pot grown bulb collection considerably. The outdoor/garden ones have fared better, under snow.

I used to have only a "frost guard" electric heater running in the greenhouse, without fan. It kept temperatures a bit warmer tha outside, but with -25 Celsius outside it still fell to around 15 below inside. The sand beds and pots still froze solid for long periods, and I tended to kill my more tender bulbs like Sternbergia, Colchicum and some Crocus and Narcissus. They looked just like yours in a recent Bulblog. Lilium, Erythronium and Fritillaria seem more hardy. Now I have installed a heating cable, and hope the future is brighter. To late for my Sternbergias, only one S. lutea seems alive so far. Also the cable has an internal thermostat that turns off at +5 C which might be a bit high.
Thomas Schultze, Skoghall, Sweden, -25 C to +35 C
Alpines rule!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal