We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 06/11  (Read 1741 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Bulb log 06/11
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:53:21 PM »
I shortly ago got Japan journal about gardening - there were many pictures of Eranthis pinnatifida from wild - just unusual forms. Some very pretty. Usually where two flowers on stem - flower segments malformed. Of course - it is in Japan, so I got help from my Japan customer who explained me that those are not selected forms but seasonal variation in nature.
With me in greenhouse only a pair of Eranthis cilicica showed buds and a pair of Eranthis stellata (China stock) pushed noses out of pot before I covered them for new cold wave which started today and will last at least for two weeks
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Knud

Re: Bulb log 06/11
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »
Hi Ian,
Thank you for yet another enjoyable, informative, and not least, beautiful bulb log. All the Narcissus are impossible not to like, and the Eranthis pinnatifida is very pretty - first time I saw it.  Yesterday I received a big envelope from SRGC full of exciting seeds, many of them bulbs (Lilium, Narcissus, Colchicum, Corydalis and Acis). I needed some information on sowing these, and knew I had read something in your bulb logs.  I dug into the bulb log index, and very soon found several useful references, many of which I hadn't read before, - a very thorough and good index. So now I have mixed a huge bucket of compost (last week's log on sand and gravel was useful there), written out most of the lables, and will do the sowing tomorrow, - some deep and some shallow.  And, -then sit back the next couple of years and enjoy a few "lawns" that won't need mowing.
Thanks!

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
Janis
We have had some snow and frosts this week but nothing compared to what you are facing. It must be very frustrating knowing your bulbs are wanting to flower but have to be covered with your blankets.

The second flowers on the Eranthis pinnatifida will grow on and form perfect flowers in a week or two, I will show them in a future log. It fascinates me how they develop like this outside of a bud.

Knud
Good to hear that you are sowing seeds  and finding the information in the bulb log helpful.We are all very grateful to Len Rhind for compiling the Bulb log index.

We are enjoying our cheese on your beautifully crafted board you so kindly sent.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:59:17 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Knud

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28:30 AM »
Good evening,
Hmm, I just had a posting disappear in the ether, I wonder what dissolved it ??? I'll try again.

Yes, it is good to be back at it. Until 6-8 years ago we used to sow a lot each year, Barbara more than me. I agree with you, it is very satisfying to grow from seed. I never tried many bulbs from seed, and of those I tried many were not successful. But I have a nice potful of Rhodohypoxis from SRGC seed, Lilium formosanum priceii keeps itself going in the garden, and a patch of Muscari pallens from Kristl's Gardens North seems content. I have included a picture of one of the Muscaris, in the patch the colour varies from almost white to icy blue.
I'm glad you liked the board, - it's part of my "planing practice".

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:30:38 PM »
Ian I thought your close-ups of N. romieuxii were stunning,they really showed up the crystalline perfection of the petals.  Pity I can't find dress material that looks as good as that.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
Ian I thought your close-ups of N. romieuxii were stunning,they really showed up the crystalline perfection of the petals.  Pity I can't find dress material that looks as good as that.

Bury Market?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
 Ian's just read that over my shoulder, Shelagh and said that he thinks you'll soon be able to just wear a corona for a skirt.... cut out all the work!
I wouldn't take your slimming quite so far..... but it would be pretty  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »
Thanks Dave.

Sounds good to me Maggi.

Now what to do about the top half of me.  Answers in a plain brown envelope please :o
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal