We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 52  (Read 1389 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
bulb log 52
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
Ian I enjoyed your picture of Sterbergia leaves, that's all we have ever managed, leaves.  It reminded me of a lady at our local group some years ago who after a talk which had featured a lot of Soldanellas confided to me that she grew 6 different sorts of S. leaves. ::)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: bulb log 52
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:35 PM »
Now  you mention it, Shelagh, we do grow a nice wee range of Soldanella leaves here...... :P

In the dim and distant past we used to manage big pots of Soldanellas, flowering well and looking good, then they gave up flowering, we took pity on them ( or gave up.... depends how you look at it!) and planted them in the garden and I doubt if we've had more then one flower every four years since...... :-\ :-X :-[

Frustrating business this, isn't it? Never mind, we may be crazy, but at least we're harmless!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:33:27 PM »
yes it amazing to see silver right through to very dark green leaves. Is it different leaves for different speces?

What is the secret to flowering them in Aberdeen?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

carolesmith

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 11:28:10 AM »
Thank you for another year of excellent information and advice.  It  has been a good prompt to go and look for things in my very small alpine house.  With regard to sowing own seed - nature does such a wonderful job  as the only thing in flower at the moment is a narcissus in the plunge between pots - such a joy to see now that the snow and frost have disappeared here for the time being.
A Happy New Year to all.
Wansford
North Cambridgeshire

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:53:45 PM »
Thank you for another year of the bulb log, Ian. I wish I would have known you were in Vancouver earlier I would have liked to have met you personally.
All the best for 2011.
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words of support I will be continuing the bulb log for at least another year.

yes it amazing to see silver right through to very dark green leaves. Is it different leaves for different species?

Most of those that can be seen in the picture came as Sternbergia sicula but as I have reported  over the years in the bulb log I suspect there is an element of hybridisation going on in cultivation at least.

What is the secret to flowering them in Aberdeen?
I wish I knew, as Shelagh states they do not flower freely every year for us. I think they need well fed and I do now give them potassium in the autumn from the moment the flowers start to fade that has given some better results. The other factor I find more difficult to provide is the long warm ripening period as the bulbs go into dormancy - this is most critical to getting a good flowering.

Wishing you all health, happiness and a good bulb growing year in 2011.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »
Thank you for another year of the bulb log, Ian. I wish I would have known you were in Vancouver earlier I would have liked to have met you personally.
All the best for 2011.
Len

It would have been nice to meet up when I was in Vancouver Len - it was only a brief visit - perhaps there will be another opportunity.

Thank you for all your work compiling an index to the bulb log - I have it printed out and use it all the time.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal