We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 51  (Read 1413 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
bulb log 51
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »
Thanks to Ian for a sneak peek at Janis' newbook - it goes on my wants list straight away. Moreover MANY thanks for another great year of wisdom and thought provoking in the bulb logs. I may not always give feedback, but I do always read it each week and wonder how Ian always finds something interesting to show and tell - even when frozen under snow! Much appreciated.  :-*
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: bulb log 51
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:46:21 PM »
Like Anne says many thanks for the review.

Scrolling down the bulb logs I see there is only one left for 2010. Only a year ago we were saying a yes a very big Yes Please to another year and before you ask Yes Please

Thanks for another great year despite the disruption caused by many week of snow
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »
Very nearly eight years Ian and it's still fresh and relevent, and an essential part of a bulb growers life. A BIGGGGGGGG thank you and I look forward to the last one of the year and then, well, 2011 here we go.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:44:50 PM »
Design/layout is not a strong point in many books published today. But at least, judging by your photos, the designers of Janis' book have placed the captions beneath the photos. In the AGS publication Bulbs of Greece the captions for all the photos on a single page or double page spread   are grouped together so that one has to work through, for example,  "This page:.... (bottom left).....(top, lower middle and right)..... Opposite page....(left)......(right)." Sometimes no information is given as to which caption should go with which photo (e.g., p 164). A triumph of the modern designer's art!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:33:48 PM »
A wonderful column Ian and not to be missed.  Thanks a lot and please keep it coming.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Susan Owl

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
A wonderful column Ian and not to be missed.  Thanks a lot and please keep it coming.

I fully agree.
Now I'm waiting for the Crocus book  ;).
Susanne Deininger, near Berlin, Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal