We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 36  (Read 1491 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Bulb log 36
« on: September 10, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »
Ian,

As always your bulb log is very interesting!

I have grown Colchicum montanum outside for several years, and I find it hardy. The site is a raised bed at a Southwest facing wall. Over them is a pear tree at the wall, which shields for the worst rain. I give them no winter protection. I started with a single bulb and have about 20 now, some of them in pots but most at the original site.

I look forward to hearing more about your Sternbergia sicula. I have sicula 'Dodona Gold' two places in the open garden. A clump close to the same wall as above and a clump 50 cm from the wall. The ones at the wall do MUCH better than the others. When they flower I will post pictures of both.

Poul

Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 36
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 09:21:28 AM »
Thank you for your information and pictures Poul it is very encouraging to know that you can grow Colchicum montanum outside I suspect that I will also find a spot where it will grow and flower.

When it comes to Sternbergia I struggle to give them a long enough period of warm conditions under glass to ripen the flower buds so there is no way that they will develop in the open garden. I know you get much warmer temperatrures in your summer than we do.
I will try a few bulbs of 'Dodona Gold' in my small experimental sand plunge bulb bed to see how they do.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:09:46 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

angie

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:13:14 AM »
Lovely bulb log again Ian , will be interested to see how you get on with Strenbergia Dodona Gold I purchased these bulbs at the RBGE but I will keep mine in the greenhouse just to be safe.

Loved the picture of the hoverfly on th Colchicum.

Angie :) 
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
Thank you for your information and pictures Poul it is very encouraging to know that you can grow Colchicum montanum outside I suspect that I will also find a spot where it will grow and flower.

When it comes to Sternbergia I struggle to give them a long enough period of warm conditions under glass to ripen the flower buds so there is no way that they will develop in the open garden. I know you get much warmer temperatrures in your summer than we do.
I will try a few bulbs of 'Dodona Gold' in my small experimental sand plunge bulb bed to see how they do.

Ian,

As promised the pic of my Sternbergia site.
The two clumps flowering are both sicula 'Dodona Gold'. I planted 2 bulbs at the wall and two bulbs in the stone pocket about 5 years ago. The ones at the wall has increased well and flowers reliable each year. The two bulbs at the wall are now two clumps. One of them flower now, the other in about 3 weeks.
The ones in the stone pocket about 50 cm from the wall have not increase that much and do only flower after a warm summer.
At the wall to the left is a clump of greuteriana in buds.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »
Thanks Poul, I'll show this to Ian when he gets back from Ireland at the weekend.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal