We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Buried Treasures," Janis Ruksans' New Book  (Read 3885 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
"Buried Treasures," Janis Ruksans' New Book
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »
Yesterday I received two copies of this fabulous book, pre-publication ordered from the AGS. One is for a friend.

As yet I've only had a good look at the fantastic pictures - so many new bulbs - and a few quick dips into the text. It seems to be an adventure book as much as anything else and can be read as if it's a fascinating novel. I'm surprised Ruksans is alive to tell the tale! But there is so much else as well; cultivation, botany, photography - everything. I'm looking forward to settling down tonight by the fire with a (this) good book. The one thing I have against it is that it's too big and heavy to read in bed but I'll cope with that all right.

No doubt it will be reviewed for the Journal and the Bulletin but in the meantime, I'd advise you to get a copy NOW as I'm sure the print run will be gone in no time once people realize just what a treasure it is. Enjoy! as they say.

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carol Shaw

Re: "Buried Treasures," Janis Ruksans' New Book
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:21:35 AM »
And you can buy it from the SRGC for less than the AGS is charging :)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:25 PM »
NOW she tells me ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:46:58 PM »
I received mine a while ago and have been looking forward to it. Met the author in Beroun  and he had a copy under his arm. It was frustrating that it was an advance copy only ( I like to have my books signed if at all possible).

derekb

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »
Lesley,
         Reading in bed at your age I thought it was only when you get to my age (77)
that you had time to read in bed.
 Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 05:37:43 AM »
I've been reading in bed ever since I was 3 and could read at all. Not about to change the habit of a lifetime.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
Lesley,
you need to do some arm strengthening-exercises! I find the book is just a nice size for night-time reading!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 01:37:52 AM »
Good morning Lesley. I got Ruksans book only 2 days ago and it was so exciting I was unable to put it down but I didn't take it to bed I prefered the comfort of my armchair. Especially so as I met Janis Ruksans at the Prague conference. He gave a marvellous lecture and it a charming man. I have had to laminate my copy as I have been drooling over the pictures especially the Iris rosenbachiana varieties, 3 of which i have imported from him and are growing well in the garden. I also have some of his named corydalis solida varieties and some of the species that grow in the Steppes of central Asia. e.g. Corydalis sewerzowii, C.seisumsiana, C.schanginii, etc. I have a great tan and everyone here in Melbourne is jealous and pale in comparison. Iris (juno) stenophylla subsp stenophylla is in flower this morning also a big clump of Iris histrio collection in Lebanon before all this unrest. I have to go now as I need Caffeine. The coffee in Australia is the best :)

Ciao, juis. Otto
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:05:05 AM »
So pleased to see you home again safe and sound Otto, and posting on the Forum. Do you approve of the picture on the left side, that Tim supplied, (from one of my pics in April)? It's very like you, but I wanted him to use one with a wide hat :D

Take care and continue reading :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
Lesley,
only up to the Chapter on Central Asia (?23) so far but it's been fantastic reading.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
Just finished reading mine and a very nice read it was, giving some history to all the plants in his catalogue.

The American spelling stood out a bit for me but the worst problem was that my wish list has grown some what :D.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal