We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bluebells  (Read 1429 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Bluebells
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »
It is a very curious fact that bluebells can be a scourge in a garden, seeding everywhere (also Anemone nemorosa here), and yet in the wild they are known to be very slow colonisers of new ground. As such they are indicators of ancient woodlands, and ancient hedgerows. In the last couple of days I've been helping my husband with a hedge survey at a very interesting site where the allignment of a village changed through 90 degrees since medieval times. Where the very old, pre-change hedgerows cross the post-change hedgerows, bluebell is present, but only within a few metres of the crossing point. It has not travelled out along the 'new' hedges more than that distance in hundreds of years.
Similarly, in a local wood, it is clear which part has been there for hundreds of years and which part for only 60-70 years because of the clear cut-off of the bluebells.
Right, back to weeding bluebells out of my front garden then.
Thank you as usual for keeping up the great standard of the bulb logs, always a highlight of my week.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Bluebells
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:16 PM »
I'm finding my bracteate blubells, blue and white, set no seed.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal