We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 12  (Read 3980 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Bulb Log 12
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »
As someone who has a garden that is pretty well inaccessible to deer, and who has (meantime ) won the rabbit battle, I don't know quite how I would cope with having fine clumps of any plant, let alone such beautiful Iris, chomped off by marauding deer.....not well, I fear..... :-X :'(

I would be eating plent of venison ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:13 PM »
Ian, the photos in this bulb log are particularly good - the close ups of the frit flowers are so sharp, and what can I say about the pot of Narcissus x susannae - worth a Forrest medal surely!
Also, I wanted you to know that I did good missionary work for the bulb log at our hotel 1800m up in the Atlas Mountains while we were away. The other tourers were forcibly made to look at that weeks log on the laptop after dinner! One was actually a SRGC member WHO HAD NEVER BEEN ON THE FORUM!!!!

Thank you Anne, I used a tripod and an aperture of f22 for the Frit pictures hence the sharpness.
To get a Forrest for the Narcissus would be great but I will have to get a bigger potfull and I have drifted away from that just now but I agree it is worth a FM.

Ian - a very beautiful edition of the Bulb Log. Is the very dark form of E. dens-canis the same as the clone which is available commercially under the name 'Old Aberdeen'?

Gerry, no the one I showed is even darker. I got 'Old Aberdeen' many years ago from one of the well known bulb sellers and was never very impressed by its so called darkness. I have a number of forms that are darker -it may be I was sent the wrong thing.

Your F. chitralensis looks magnificent, and photographed so well.  Presumably it's self-incompatible.
Does your F. minuta divide?  Mine looks similar & returns to delight me every year but steadfastly refuses to multiply.  Maybe I must take a deep breath and break the bulb in two

Ashley F. minuta does divide for me and I it makes some rice grains - not to the extent of some other species but enough to give a steady increase.
I have had what looks like viable seed on F. chitralensis but have not had a great success with germination less than 5% I would estimate.

Mark, as our Scoliopus is seed raised and we have lots of it we can have plants in flower from December until May.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:59 PM »
Ian, in one of the photos there appears to be a blue crocus behind the main subject of the photo (a yellow flower I do not have the log open at the moment), is this correct ?
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »
I think you mean this photo, Andrew?
It is Crocus veluchensis.... or a hybrid thereof
Edit by maggi: sorry lost the plot there... it is a Crocus pelistericus!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:21:50 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 05:40:19 PM »
Ian, your Spring garden looks wonderful carpeted with early flowering bulbs amongst mossy rocks.  Corydalis solida is up in the wild meadows and grassy banks here and looks really pretty but each plant is a single one white or variations of pink.  I am hoping some will self seed in our garden but so far not and I' wondering whether I should try Corydalis malkensis if I can source them.  What you say is so true about these early flowers being equally important in bringing a welcome early boost to insects and butterflies.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 11:23:40 AM »
From Andrew: ..... in one of the photos there appears to be a blue crocus behind the main subject of the photo (a yellow flower I do not have the log open at the moment), is this correct ?

It is Crocus veluchensis.... or a hybrid thereof
Edit by maggi: sorry lost the plot there... it is a Crocus pelistericus!

Apologies.... I realise I managed to confuse myself.... it is, of course, Crocus pelistericus and I have  now corrected my earlier post.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal