We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Deep plastic 6 cm square pots  (Read 12406 times)

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
Deep plastic 6 cm square pots
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
I wonder if anybody could give me a good adress who supplies deep 6 cm square pots.
I need these pots specially for alpines with a deep root system.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
Re: Deep plastic 6 cm square pots
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
I came to the conclusion that extra deep square plastic pots are not available in the UK, but they seem to have them in Europe and elsewhere. Sometimes called "palm pots". The best UK ones were "rose pots" from lbs.

Having said that, type "palm pots" into Google and someone is selling them on ebay.co.uk 7x7x18, five for about 10 quid inc carriage.

<later>
One closer to the NL is http://www.europalms.be/en/accessoiries/28

one technique is to type the size "7x7x14" into Google along with the word "pot" or "palmpotten".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 03:54:41 PM by David Pilling »
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
It probably won't do David the slightest good, but since the subject has come up, I'll point American participants to Anderson Die and Manufacturing in Portland, Oregon as a source of very deep pots:

http://andersonpots.com/customers.html

Anderson makes their pots of very high grade plastic that doesn't break down. They also make excellent plastic flats in several styles, including a unique 15" (38 cm) square growers' flat about 4" (10 cm) deep. I'm told that nurserymen can pack these together tightly and they're then strong enough to walk across.

The drawbacks are two-fold. One, their bandpots (so called) have only a cross of material at the bottom. Unless they are resting on some surface at all time, you have to put a square of screening in each one to keep the soil in. (They have a few non-tall models that have a real bottom.) Two, it's damnably difficult to find a distributor away from the PacNW. I managed to buy an assortment from an outfit outside Vancouver BC a few years ago, but now when I want more, as far as I can tell, Anderson has no distributor in Canada. The place I got mine from was bought out and no longer carries the Anderson line.

I'm trying to find a distributor in Washington state and just pay through the nose for shipping and various rip off fees that UPS likes to charge on international shipments. The pots are that good.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:44 PM »
I've seen Anderson pots only on the web, they remind me of the BEF pots (whose business was briefly revived as 'megapots' (which were then available from someone at the British cactus society)).

'treepots' is another word to search for.

Having found deep pots only in places with high carriage charges, I came to the conclusion that buying plastic drain pipe and cutting it into lengths is the cheapest solution - it also comes in square cross section, is robust, and sometimes available as scrap.

drain pipe == down pipe, the stuff that takes water from gutters on the roof to the grid.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 01:43:13 PM by David Pilling »
David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 12:08:19 AM »
I'm using this deep square pots for many years and I'm very happy with them  ;D
I got them in green color, better in the frames...

http://www.cep-agriculture.fr/uk/prods/prods.htm

Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Pascal B

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »
I don't think finding deep, square pots is a problem. Finding them the size Ger wants is. Most manufacturers do not go below 2 liter. As Ger lives in Holland the best he could do is try to ask Eveleens (www.eveleensbv.nl). They sell 2 liter square deep Soparco pots but maybe they can get hold of smaller ones?. It is worth the try.

I have never seen 6 x 6 square deep pots but usually the manufacturer is on the bottom so if Ger has one, Google the manufacturer and ask them what the nearest distribution point is? Several years ago while visiting Crûg Farm I bought some plants that were potted up in 8.5 x 8.5 x 12.5. I asked them if I could buy some pots without plants (..) from them but they were reluctant to sell me more than 10 because it was a single batch they had and couldn't get anymore of them. That is the smallest size I have ever encountered and I re-use them every season. Deep round pots are perhaps easier to find in smaller sizes.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:59:45 PM by Pascal B »

jomowi

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:54:26 PM »
LBS horticulture do 9 x 9 x 10 cm thermoformed cat no V91PP100  £6.50 per 100  + VAT and a small order charge/delivery.  They also do injection moulded pots  the same size but only by the case (1248 pots) for £71 + the usual charges as above.  They may do smaller quantities from their retail web pages but not the trade one that Maggie listed above.  Again watch for the extra charges.   I can give you the retail web address if you want but do not have it available on this laptop.  If you live near enough you can visit their trade counter at Stanroyd Mill, Cottontree, Colne Lancs, BB8 7BW where you may be lucky and get small numbers from a split case.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

gervandenbeuken

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »
Although I want to thank you all for your suggestions, I was not able to find somebody who can supply the pot size I need.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 04:50:38 PM »
I don't know where to buy these pots but they must be available - I sometimes buy nursery plants in them.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

gervandenbeuken

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 05:57:35 PM »
David, would it be possible for you to ask these nurseries.
I would bee very gratefull for that

David Shaw

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 06:18:55 PM »
Ger, they jusyt seem to crop up randomly. I can't remember specific names but I have collected a couple of dozen of these pots.

gervandenbeuken

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 07:23:02 PM »
Davis, perhaps there could be a name on it from the manufactory

ruweiss

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
Ger,
Bamaplast(www.bamaplast.it) manufactures pots 7x7x10, I got mine from a small supplier for cactus articles.
You could probably get yours by a wholesale dealer in the Netherlands if you need more of them, maybe they
also have the 6x6 you are looking for.
The plants I bought from you at Tübingen are al well !
Rudi
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

David Shaw

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 09:20:06 PM »
Ger, the feelers are out!
At the moment it is dark outside and minus quite a few. No way am I venturing outside the door to look underneath a  pot!  ;D, maybe tomorrow.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal