Specific Families and Genera > Cacti and Succulents

"Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..

(1/198) > >>

cohan:
i've been threatening a thread for cacti for a while, thought it might as well include any other juicy xerophytics not covered in the bulb threads---succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
to start, here are some cacti that live permanently on my windowsills, last year's photos, for now (dates are in photo titles) ..
these are all smallish plants, in 3-4inch (7.5-10cm) pots,not necessarily young, but not ancient; most of these could be much more floriferous under better conditions, but i'm happy they flower indoors!
most are from commercial sources, purchased unnamed, so names should be considered approximate
pics 1,2 Astrophytum capricorne senilis
among the smaller in the genus, this should eventually form a small column
pics 3,4 Coryphantha durangensis
eventually a clump of cylinders, but no sign of offsetting, or growing, really, after several years
pic 5 Gymnocalycium baldianum
one of my few reds
pic 6,7 Gymnocalycium stellatum
this one stays tiny, the body is only about 1.5 inches/3.75cm across

cohan:
this set shows one plant, one flower which you can see changing over the days its open, notice the view out the window, and you can see why its especially nice to have these flowers in early spring!
Gymnocalycium bruchii albispinum

Rogan:
Yeah, I love succulents too, including cacti, aloes, etc. :) Here's one of my favorite giving heaps of colour and good cheer at the moment: Frithia pulchra, a little fingery clump of succulent leaves from the Magaliesberg mountains in the North West province of South Africa. It is known colloquially as 'Fairy Elephants Feet' or 'vingerpol' in Afrikaans.

cohan:

--- Quote from: Rogan on January 14, 2010, 06:59:24 AM ---Yeah, I love succulents too, including cacti, aloes, etc. :) Here's one of my favorite giving heaps of colour and good cheer at the moment: Frithia pulchra, a little fingery clump of succulent leaves from the Magaliesberg mountains in the North West province of South Africa. It is known colloquially as 'Fairy Elephants Feet' or 'vingerpol' in Afrikaans.

--- End quote ---

a beautiful one! does it keep its leaves mostly below ground for you? in the north in cultivation it seems to grow mostly above ground, though i think its mainly buried in habitat?
typically called baby's toes, along with Fenestraria; i like 'Fairy Elephants Feet'  much better!
mesembs are very underrepresented in my collection; i'd like to get more, especially conos..

Rogan:
My Frithias remain well above ground level the year round - I not too sure how to get them to 'retract' as they do in nature  ???

I'm not particularly successful with Conophytum, and I'm not too sure whether it's my cultivation technique or my unique growing conditions, but I do have some success and also have my favorites, e.g. C. khamiesbergensis (...which does surprisingly well for me!), C. herreanthus and C. ectypum in all its forms. One I can't grow at all, and would dearly like to is C. burgeri, here's a tray full (if rather overwatered!) I saw growing in a nursery in the Western Cape - maybe in my next life...  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version