We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 49 - 09/12/09  (Read 1888 times)

Gerry Webster

Bulb Log 49 - 09/12/09
« on: December 10, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »
Ian - Many thanks for the advice on 'spot metering' about which I knew nothing. I had despaired of getting tolerable photos of hoop-petticoats - most of the detail was burned out. I have just tried 'spot metering' & the improvement is dramatic. I'll experiment some more before posting the results.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Bulb Log 49 - 09/12/09
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:36:24 PM »
This week's bulb log http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2009Dec091260379825BULB_LOG__4909.pdf

I must go through the menue of my camera and see what I can find.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

james willis

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:01 AM »
Ian,
Thank you for the exposition on how to use the length of the pedicel as a diagnostic tool in attempting to sort out forms of narcissi.  It is the kind of note that I find extremely helpful.  Normally I would have viewed this log on Wednesday straight after an hour of folk music with Mike Harding on Radio 2 but I stayed for the programme devoted to Pete Seeger so put off signing on till today.

Slugs are having a field day in the garden so much so that I have had to put down slug bait albeit sparingly if there is to be something left to enjoy.  The weather for the last ten days has been exceedingly wet but today is dry - for the moment at least
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 10:04:29 AM »
Thanks for the positive feed back Gerry it is always good to know that my ramblings help at least one or two people. I have found that the whole process of writing a weekly log forces me into thinking about each step I take in some tasks that I would often just do in an autopilot mode.

Mark it is not just you that should sit down with your camera and explore its functions everyone should if they want to get the best out of what they have paid for.
The most important functions to learn to use are.

Flash on and off, some cameras also offer varying strengths of flash.
Metering, spot, average, etc.
Exposure compensation + and -.
White balance.

All these functions can be used to great effect.

Thank you for the exposition on how to use the length of the pedicel as a diagnostic tool in attempting to sort out forms of Narcissus.

I only wish we could sort them out Jim- to me they are a group of highly promiscuous bulbs that are still in flux making them almost impossible to keep in order!!

I am glad to know that I come second to folk music and Pete Seeger , just as it should be :D :D

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:47:38 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the positive feed back Gerry it is always good to know that my ramblings help at least one or two people........

Many more than one or two Ian. Your ramblings are the bedrock for many of us.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
Hear hear !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »
Absolutely. And you are so right about how many of us (me) should work out how to make the best of our cameras. The modern digital is so easy for an amateur to use that it has made me very lazy. I'll try to do better. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal