We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 46 Liverworts  (Read 10362 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bulb log 46 Liverworts
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:53 PM »
Does the baking powder have any effect on already germinated seedlings or can it only be used on ungerminated seeds?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
Does the baking powder have any effect on already germinated seedlings or can it only be used on ungerminated seeds?
I was wondering myself if it would have the effect of "raising" them up??  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 11:11:22 PM »
Nicely puffed and ready to sprinkle with grated cheese and place under a hot grill? :) Sorry, it's just about lunchtime and my mind's turning that way. It's very cold here today but with very welcome rain.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

james willis

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »
Maggi,
I came very late to this very interesting thread and on reading through it your pictures of sundry postage stamps sent me off down memory lane to twenty plus years of stamp collecting and dealing.  And on this bitterly cold day, with Margaret away for a week, that was a lovely, if unintended thing to do.  Jim
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
Maggi,
I came very late to this very interesting thread and on reading through it your pictures of sundry postage stamps sent me off down memory lane to twenty plus years of stamp collecting and dealing.  And on this bitterly cold day, with Margaret away for a week, that was a lovely, if unintended thing to do.  Jim

Serendipity, Jim, it's a wonderful thing.... I love the little pleasures that a digression along life's highway can bring..... good to treasure these wees trolls along a less trodden path!

Hope Margaret is keeping better and enjoying her break, by the way  :-*

james willis

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
What I forgot to add was that a common problem with old letters and stamps is foxing, which I understand is a form of fungus, and this we treated where possible with repeated applications of a weak solution of chloromine T/ chloromin Tee, itself a weak bleach, applied with a small paint brush with some good results.  It used to be available from any good chemist shop but possibly/probably any form of bleach, however weak, would be unsuitable for use with plants?

Thank you for your good wishes for Margaret which I will pass on. Jim
James Willis, 86400, Blanzay, France

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »
How well I remember hours spent with chloromine T, treating foxing in old prints , maps and watercolours... it seems a lifetime ago......well, it pretty much was  a lifetime ago!
Sadly it will need to become a regular feature around here again as some of our watercolour collection, not painted on acid free papers, are beginning to suffer..... a big job, when it  is finally started. :-X

Never tried the chloromine T on any bulbs, so I don't know what the reaction might be.... ???

wooden shoe

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »
I woke up this thread because I found a way of preventing liverwort which works out quite well for me. Adding a thin layer of woodchips on top of the liverwort prevents them from getting any sun and they die away. Normally this will not stop them from growing on top of the new layer, which they will do after some time if you use sand or gravel as top layer. The liverwort however does not seem to get a grip on the woodchips. I think the chips dry out too quickly and will thus prevent the liverwort from finding a permanent place for moisture. The rough surface will further prevent them to form mats. Further advantages are that it's environmentally friendly and most plants and even seedlings can easily grow through the woodchips. I have tested it through spring and summer and have good hope it will still work for autumn and winter. Hopefully more people will have success.
Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal