We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: bulb log 46 18 November  (Read 3407 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
bulb log 46 18 November
« on: November 20, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »
What cracking troughs, Ian. I'd like to have a go at the crevice ones, but think that in our lower rainfall zone, the pure sand might not work. Any feedback from others about their experiences?
Also, the liverwort problem is another excellent reason to plant seeds deeply. If they're sown just under the grit they can be lost if liverwort has to be removed. If they are lower down, the 'cap' of liverwort can be removed and replaced with clean topping without disturbing the seeds or young plants.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: bulb log 46 18 November
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 03:27:43 PM »
I agree with Anne, Ian !
The troughs look magnificent !
Don't forget to show them again when they're flowering next year !
 ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
Inspiring-I should get my act together and make some. So much to do and so little time to do it :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 03:49:17 PM »
Lovely troughs Ian

Sorry if I am diverting the thread Anne started if to much so please Maggi make a new, but I thought it was within the subject.

I wonder if You, Ian, or anyone else tried cyclamen in troughs to have plants that are normally to sensitive to be outside due to humidity rather than cold. Maybe even having a partial roof for the bulb but having flower and foliage stick out from under the roof. Since You are building new troughs maybe this is something to try? Especially since You want the cyclamen outside and not inside. I was thinking it might need having the stones rather tilting more diagonal to be able to work as a roof and to still have good drainage. Maybe the soil might be different that just sharp sand? If You or anyone else know why this will never work please tell. I will probably not be able to do the test myself since I have no space for a trough at my balcony :(

I have a vague recollection that someone has a plant growing like that here in the forum and I also saw a cyclamen grow from under a stone stairs in Portugal where the wet Winter might be a problem if not well drained.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 05:24:59 PM »
Ian, you always have such great ideas and it's wonderful to see your experiments working out so well in your different styled troughs.  To have hewn out a granite paving slab to create an Alpine haven is just incredible  :o  Recycling does produce some unique gems.

Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

angie

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
Ian
You don't half come up with good ideas, laying the labels near the plants and then taking a photo for reference is great especially for people like me that's brain doesn't seem to hold anything for too long. Your troughs are brillant, I now what I will be doing in the springtime ::)
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 10:52:05 PM »
I second the label pic idea. Probably a good idea in the garden too, especially because weather and blackbirds play havoc with labels.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »
Interestingly, "our" blackbirds are conspicous by their absence at the minute. They always go off into the countryside in Autumn to enjoy  nature's bounty, but they are usually back by now..... some in chum's garden down the road, but very few in the neighbourhood altogetther... bit odd..... hope the're back soon.... even with the label pulling, mulch spreading and cushion-plant ripping, we do enjoy their company in the garden.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
Thank you friends for all your kind comments, I am glad you enjoyed the troughs for a change.

think that in our lower rainfall zone, the pure sand might not work.
Anne I find that pure gritty sand seems to hold moisture longer than some composts do. Also these crevice style troughs seem to hold moisture better as they have needed less watering, once the plants have established their roots, than many more conventional planted ones do.

Don't forget to show them again when they're flowering next year !
I will Luc, I have lots of pictures at the various stages of making, planting and the growth to date and will continue as the project was intended to supplement my PowerPoint talk on Troughs.

I wonder if You, Ian, or anyone else tried cyclamen in troughs to have plants that are normally to sensitive to be outside due to humidity rather than cold. Maybe even having a partial roof for the bulb but having flower and foliage stick out from under the roof.
Joakim
I have some cyclamen in troughs, mostly the more hardy ones, and do intend to use them when I plant my 'bulbous' trough as they will provide valuable foliage for most of the year. In the garden I have done just what you suggest with some of the tender cyclamen - I have planted them under one of the edging stones at the edge of the gravel area so they can poke their leaves and flowers out. It does work as some have survived for a number of years but they are not exactly happy with our weather and only produce a few leaves and flowers.

I do also use the label picture system in raised beds and when I replant any garden beds that I need to know the plant names.

We have a lot more troughs than I showed here is one from the same group that is landscaped using rounded stones.

Spring and this week again.

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:08:44 PM »
Ian, I think You inspired many of us with Your pictures. Thank You so much!!! Also my husband became completely zealous to make me some troughs for building and planting. :)

Anne,
The pure sand, or sand mixed with just a little peat (1:4) works surprisingly well even in our hot dry summers, if the crevices are strait (max. 1-2 cm or even narrower). The crevice trough is an excellent invention! (Well, nature has invented the "crevice garden" long ago, I know that  ;D)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 05:38:27 PM »
Thank You Kata and Ian. I will give it a try next year.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
Thanks for the information Ian.
Good to know about the troughs in warm summers Katalin.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »
Ian why don't you use black labels? Pushed almost their full length underground they become invisible
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 09:20:01 PM »
Ian why don't you use black labels? Pushed almost their full length underground they become invisible

Because we'd never find  them again, Mark!  ;D ;D ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
that's why a wee bit is left poking up. I was referring to labels in troughs.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal