We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Comm Swift Project  (Read 14443 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Comm Swift Project
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »
Mark
we had a report on the news over the weekend that a Dutch team have invented a robot swift to fly with a flock to see how they fly or some such thing! Have you heard about this?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2007, 08:47:22 AM »
you're quite a bit behind down there. It was a wing attached to a mechanical arm in a wind tunnel
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »
here is a link to all the photos I've taken this year of swifts inspecting my nest boxes. The thumbnails arent linked yet but hope to have it done by this weekend
http://www.marksgardenplants.com/swifts/swifts.htm

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2007, 12:20:28 AM »
I'm shaking like a leaf and could kill tonight !!

At 10.15pm a sparrowhawk rushed across the road at low level and landed on my aviary roof panicking the birds. I threw a handful og gravel to get it away which it did and flew to the roof of a house opposite. It then moved and I couldn't see where it went so I left the garden for a better view of my house. It was sitting directly below my swift boxes. You can guess what happened ..... before I could throw more gravel one of my breeding swifts came in and in a flash the hawk had it by the body as it squeezed into the box. The swift hung on. I threw stones and shouted, with a neighbour, but the hawk wouldn't let go. Both hung on for maybe 10 seconds and the hawk lost it's grip pulling out a mass of feathers and it flew back to the same house. The other mate arrived shortly after and sadly there was no ID calling from inside the box. I fear one of my breeding pair is dead. This hawk could wipe out my colony in a week. I haven't had any birds return this week other than the breeders. I've only been going out after 10pm recently to see the breeders come home to roost and feed the young. I reduced the Schwegler 16 hole to 32mm to keep the starlings out but it was always a tight squeeze for the swifts. In all the other boxes I had removed the starling baffle to allow bangers, non breeding prospectors are called this, an easier access but never removed the one from the breeders as they had laid.

I'll check the box in the morning to see if the swift made it through the night.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
Susan and Fermi, the ugly ducklings no longer are ...

June 7th
July 4th
July 11th
July 20th
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:19:37 AM by mark smyth »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
Swifts are about to leave for their winter home  :'( They are only here for an average of 96 days but late breeders like mine will stay until the chicks are fat and abandon them. The chicks then do press ups to tone their muscles, honest!, lose weight and fly once their weight is correct. Something I learnt this week is the young leave their nests 70 minutes after sunset.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2007, 10:10:46 PM »
Some observations from tonight August 5th 2007

Eight screaming swifts have been present tonight including my pair who have just entered their box at 9.50pm and 9.55pm. It's amazing how they can see in poor light. It's almost dark outside and I could only see them against the pale west sky and my gable wall. One bird is still very shy to enter the box after the Sparrowhawk attack and has been trying to pick up the courage since 9.30pm.

Old Chinese proverb says "Swift with full throat can not scream". My two need to learn not to speak/scream with full throat crops. It just comes out muffled.

On Thursday, 9th, my chicks will be 6 weeks and should they have fledged during the week commencing 30th July? It is documented with Swifts that the chicks grow at a slower rate during poor weather. The adult are just beyonf their 96 days stay - 100 days.

When the shy parent flew past first time the whoosh of it's wings caused the ?sleeping  chicks to run. I could hear their nails on the wooden floor

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »
goodbye swifts!! hurry back!

Looks like all swifts have now left for Africa. Any young in nests will be abandoned but they will continue to workout every day and leave when a perfect weight.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2007, 07:34:05 PM »
Mark,
did I get it right: the young swifts will survive and leave their nest in normal condition while their parents are away?

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2007, 07:48:42 PM »
yes but it really only happens with late broods. The majority will have left a few week ago. Much like Puffin chicks that put on weight and are abandoned by their parents. They them lose weight and leave when ready

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2007, 08:02:31 PM »
here are some swift boxes on a friends house

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »
results of the RSPB 2007 swift survey http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details.asp?id=tcm:9-177038

A UK-wide survey of swifts this summer has revealed interesting variations between birds nesting in urban and rural locations.

Virtually all of the UK’s swift populations nests in buildings, but the 3070 homeowners responding to the 2007 RSPB Swift Survey revealed that rural homes were around twice as likely to have nesting swifts as urban ones.

During the survey, most swifts were recorded nesting in roof spaces, with almost two-thirds of swifts entering under eaves, and another quarter through roof tiles. Across the UK, one-in-eight swifts nested in holes in brickwork.

Unfortunately, these sites are all too-easily removed during property renovation, potentially denying swifts opportunities to nest. The RSPB is concerned that the UK’s swift population may suffer if suitable sites aren’t available.

Previous RSPB swift surveys have shown that swifts have a strong tie to older properties, especially those built before 1919. It is widely believed that these properties offer more nesting sites than modern homes.

In decline
There is some evidence that swift populations are declining across the UK, and the latest State of the UK’s Birds report suggests that the UK’s swift population has declined by 26 per cent since 1994.

'Swifts have nested on our buildings for centuries and they depend on us for their future.'

Dr Darren Moorcroft, the RSPB’s head of conservation management, said: 'Swifts have nested on our buildings for centuries and they depend on us for their future. We fear that the UK swift population may be declining, possibly through a reduction of nesting sites caused by renovation.

'Swifts use traditional nest sites, especially in old buildings. If these are destroyed, it is hard to entice the birds back.'

Help swifts in your area
Concern for Swifts – one of several groups dedicated to the conservation of swifts – has produced a five-point plan to safeguard existing nest sites or create new ones, these are:

Where possible, leave existing nest holes alone, working around them when carrying out repairs and renovations.
If not, fit an internal nest box behind the replacement material. Position the box and make a hole in the new material at the same location as the original nest site.
Create new sites by making appropriately sized holes in existing soffits or fascias.
Fit internal nestboxes in new builds or extensions.
Use external, wall-mounted nestboxes as a last resort.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal