We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wild Flowers of Poland  (Read 9336 times)

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
Wild Flowers of Poland
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »
Hello everyone,
Maggi Young suggested I should start a topic about my collection of Polish native plants and wild growing ones. I like all nature and everything what is with it related. But the most of all I like my own native plants. 2 Years ago I set up a small garden with some easy to get species. As everyone knows "The appetite grows with what it feeds on". I started to build up my collection and enlarge my garden. Now I have almost all species I ever wanted (about 47). Also I have the carnivorous ones, which I keep separate in big pots. I am not worried gardening would become boring for me.  Almost each month something new is flowering. Some would not flower even in 2 years. Here are some photos from my garden.

My garden (I had to "arrest" it because of my dog)

Hacquetia epipactis

Adonis vernalis

Primula vulgaris (I have got it from my friend from England)

Primula farinosa

Crocus scepusiensis (One of my 3 loves after Primula minima and Cypripedium calceolus)

Soldanella carpatica

But gardening isn’t my only hobby. I also like riding a bike and exploring my surroundings. I must say that I have a fantastic forest near by. I have discovered there so many beautiful and protected species. Many of them shouldn’t even grow here, because the nearest known locality is sometimes more than 200 km away. When I saw my first orchid in nature I knew I must protect it! And now I am near to achieve that, because this whole area have been proposed to become a protected area of European Union project Nature 2000. Here are some photos I have made myself:

Arnica montana

Corydalis cava

Aquilegia vulgaris

Primula elatior

Galium odoratum

Drosera rotundifolia (carnivorous plant)

Colchicum autumnale

ORCHIDS

Cephalantera longifolia (endangered in my forest becaus deforestation)

Epipactis atrorubens (fantastic propagating species in my forest)

Epipactis purpurata

Dactylorhiza maculata

Dactylorhiza majalis

Listera ovata

Platanthera bifolia

That are only few species that can be found in my forest. This year I want to do some new photos. Also almost each year I discover one new species what is really wonderful. I hope I haven't attach to many photos. :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:54:05 PM by Cephalotus »
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Wild Flowers of Poland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
Are they flowering now? You must be one of the younger SRGC forum members
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:48:15 PM »
Krzysztof , many thanks for this topic, I am sure we will enjoy seeing what is in "your" forest as the season changes.  You are most fortunate to have so many species, especially of the orchids, even if the habitat is under threat from deforestation. I hope that the status of protected area will serve to preserve as many of these beautiful plants as possible. Lovely pictures, indeed. And NEVER too many!

Oh, by the way, I would like to see a picture of your dog, too, I LOVE dogs! :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
Hello Mark,
I hope you recognise me, because we already know each other. If you mean my garden flowers, they indeed are flowering. Some have already ended flowering, some are still flowering and new are just starting. :) If you mean species from my forest, only 2 species were flowering few days ago. This are Corydalis cava and Primula elatior. Rest will start flowering in May, July and some in August (f.g. Epipactis purpurata). I am really lucky to have such a rich in differential species forest. The first plant flowering in it is Galanthus nivalis snowdrop. I have discovered it this year when I went to male some photos of Primula elatior. I have found few clusters of it. I know that you like snowdrops Mark. :) I have seen your fantastic collection. The last species flowering here is of course Colchicum autumnale. I know two meadows where it grows and even have seeds.

For you Maggi I am attaching photo of my doggy. I also have a cat which also was destroying my garden when I was making my first steps. I give you its photo too.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 08:19:39 PM »
Maggie, the dog is very nice but the cat much sweeter!
These are really great plants,Krzysztof. Whilst I dont grow many orchids I love seeing them in the wild.
Beware of the other plants in your picture of Primula vulgaris. We call them 'poppers' because the seed capsules 'pop' open and throw the seed over a wide area - then next years plants do exactly the same so that your garden will soon be infested!
Good luck with the garden.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 08:31:37 PM »
David, I just KNEW you were going to say that! I was going to say that the dog looked too sweet to need such fencing but that the hissing cat had devil eyes!!

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »
Thank you David for warning me but I must say, that I let this plant grow consciously. I am cutting all flowers or fresh seeds I notice. My soil dry out very fast. And weeds protect the soil from loosing water. For most species I have it is essential to have always humid soil. That is why I have to water my garden, even a bit, each day. I can say that I must spray the soil. I can’t use bark on the surface for all my plants.

I have also seen one fantastic garden. It was full of weeds, but the plants were terrific. The grower told me, that it is very hard to grow some highland species here in lowlands. He said, that soil dries out very fast and the air is much less humid. Mountains are much more moist. I can confirm that, because I was once in mountains where I found 7 species from my garden. The conditions they were growing were really specific. In the middle of day there were a fog in some parts. It was really humid. Everywhere around were streams. The soil was not even humid but wet. 200 meters down it was so hot and sunny, that I could hardly stand. I always say, that nature is the best teacher of gardening. I also use that method in my carnivorous plants cultivation. I hardly ever look on the growing tips from other growers. I always find information about the natural habitat and if it is possible I copy it. The results are fantastic. The same is with my garden. Although I can’t say I have here different conditions, but I try to imitate them from nature.

For example I was told that Primula farinosa like growing in full sun. Maybe it is true, but mine was burnt down. After I bed out it (how to write move plant from one place to another?) into more shaded place and protected it with green net it is growing fantastic and beautiful flowering. Please, forgive me my talkativeness!

By the way, I knew you would like my animals. I trained them to be nice and kind for everyone. I had to put warning plate on my fance, because my dog fawns to every stranger. ;-) Now everyone wonder where is that "bad dog".
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 10:42:29 PM »
we already know each other? I know we have emailed but have I met you in person?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:09 PM »
After I bed out it (how to write move plant from one place to another?) into more shaded place
Exactly that: to bed a plant out is to plant it out from its pot or move it to another place... so you have the correct  English phrase! :D

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
Hello Krzysztof!

Thanks for you photos - and good to know that there are more bikers out there!
What kind of biker are you? Touring, Downhill, Freeriding? Do you have a mountainbike?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:01:16 AM »
Lovely plants in a beautiful setting.  8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 11:16:29 AM »
Hello Thomas,
I have a mountainbike and I am not sure what type of cycling I am doing. Probably touring. I have never thought about what kind of biker I am. I just like riding, especially when it is related with beautiful views and nature. Hello Anthony, Muscari comosum from you is growing like a dream. I am sure it will flower next year.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 12:56:11 PM »
Great Krzysztof - that's exact the kind of biking I also like, although I don't have the time to
do long trips like some years ago. My son Chris seems to be good enough for longer trips now so
maybe I will have the chance to do some weekend trips except short after-work-trips.

Please keep us in touch with your plant and biking photos and if you ever come to Germany
let's make a trip together, OK?
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »
Thomas, it would be a pleasure to go on a ride with you. I regret, that you live so far away from me. By the way, my name in English is also Chris. ;-) 

I have one question. My Primula vulgaris flowers a bit weird. Shouldn’t its flowers grow out from leaves? I mean from the centre of the plants just from the soil surface (yellow arrow). Mine have strange high stalks (marked with the red arrow). It is even funny because it is one plant but have few growing centres.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 11:03:30 PM »
Hello Krzysztof,

your primula vulgaris looks like a hybrid - a cross with primula veris or primula elatior.
I got same hybrids by natural crossing.

Do you grow those wild primula species together in your garden?

rgds
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal