We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calling Forumists, old and new: Please Register for the New Forum  (Read 20007 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Calling Forumists, old and new: Please Register for the New Forum
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »
I didnt know they have a forum
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2006, 08:41:51 PM »
They do indeed Mark.

It would be interesting (if impossible) to know how many new members SRGC has gained over the last few years as a result of their interest in this (i.e. the old) Forum. Surely there have been some. Well, Paul Tyerman is one for instance. (Hi Paul, are you out there?) If there has been a good bunch, it would show what an opportunity AGS is missing by having their Forum closed to non-members.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
I have to draw the line somewhere and limit myself to the SRGC. What more could I need? When you've got the best :P ......!
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2006, 09:07:03 PM »
We Scots have a long tradition of free, responsible access that has,  by and large,  served us well.

Usually

;)

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2006, 10:43:32 PM »
It would be interesting (if impossible) to know how many new members SRGC has gained over the last few years as a result of their interest in this (i.e. the old) Forum. Surely there have been some.

Lesley,

The web site as a whole has helped draw in many new members as well as making it much easier for overseas members to renew – hopefully helping to keep them on-board!

Bells, whistles and gizmos are fine, but what really makes the site  work is not technology – it's the contributors efforts, the openness and friendliness of the whole thing. It is  an online  manifestation of the SRGC – a totally  non-elitist down to earth organisation.

I'm just the janitor here,  the real workers  are the likes of Ian Young, Sandy Leven and others -  and of course the members of this forum.

In the best janitor tradition   it is my solemn  duty to be a grumpy old  bugger for at least some of the  time.  ;)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 11:49:28 AM »
I heartily endorse all that Mr Admin has said.
The accessiblity of the  SRGC site is always mentioned in correspondence with members and visitors alike. It is gratifying that many people, finding the forum and enjoying it, have gone on to join the club. Some after registering as forumists, taking part and getting to know us better. 
That's all fine by us... we are here to provide a contact point for not only SRGC Members from around the world but as a focal point for all enthusiasts of the alpine plants and wildflowers of the world to find information and contact with eachother.
 I, for one, am delighted by the opportunity the forum gives me to make friends with other gardeners and to see what they grow, whether alpine plants or otherwise and to learn about all sorts of things, from fabulous fauna to virtual mountain trips, to gossip over cup of tea and a piece of cake: It is like conversing with friends, and learning something new every day...I believe the mix is a great part of our appeal. 
This website and forum is surely one of the most immediate and widespread manifestations of our  stated aims that  "the SRGC exists to foster an interest in Rock and Peat Graden plants, to provide education about and spread knowledge of such plants and encourage their cultivation."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 01:36:24 PM »
Thanks, Anthony, that's you firmly on the Christmas card list!!

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 02:46:51 PM »
811-0 812-1 813-2 814-3 815-4
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 06:52:59 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »
Lesley,

As you have probably seen by now in the other threads..... Yep, I'm still here.  Yes I am one of those who found the SRGC via this forum, and ended up joining the SRGC itself.  I realised recently though that I think somewhere along the line I forgot to renew my membership, because I don't get anything in the mail any more (and rightly so if I haven't rejoined!  ;D), so I must do something about that I feel.  I have had a great deal of enjoyment from the SRGC site pages, and joining the society itself was my way of "paying them back" for providing this forum.  I've heard of the AGS forum, but obviously as I am not an AGS member I will never take part there.  If the SRGC forums had been closed to non-members then there never would have been anything posted here/there by me either. (OK, those of you who are sick of hearing me yabber on can STOP cheering at the thought!  :P)

One thing you can take heart from though Lesley, is that this is far more of a "standard" forum type than the previous one.  If you find other forums elsewhere on the internet you may find that the work you put into learning to use this new one will be useful for using them as well.

So glad to be back here, and apologies to all for my recent disappearance from the other forum.  Has been a chaotic month and it just got too much to go and try to catch up on the forum (it gets that way at times!) so I kept putting it off, which of course made the job even bigger etc.  One feature I like with this new forum is that the link to new postings in a thread stays current, even if you leave and come back again (you had to check everything within an hour or so on the old one or they would reset to "no new posts") and the pages system is so much better.  I too don't like the thumbnails as they are small enough it isn't easy to tell whether you want to make them bigger or not!  ;)  I do notice that there are ways of bypassing this so that pics posted come out full sized in your own post, but I realise that this then can become a problem for those on dialup as they would automatically load the larger pics.  When I get my act together and post some pics I might experiment a bit.  It will be niec to be able to load pics again given the larger limit in size.  I still intend to aim for 100K pics or less, but the 80k just made it too icky when shrinking the pics from my camera.  Will be so nice to take part again!!

Thanks to all of those who have made this new forum possible.  Great stuff guys!! (and gals!)   ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2006, 11:08:53 PM »
Cheers to you, too, Paul!

Can I make a request to all forumists to edit their profiles to add their "normal" name and location in the signature box on the Forum Profile Information Section (where it says : Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. ) All the posts on this page have that added, you will see. Except Admin, of course, there's no point in him telling us where he's hiding!
Many Thanks,
M
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 11:11:21 PM by Maggi Young »

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »
Hi to all, everyone out in the big wide world Scottish Rockers and friends everywhere, I send very best wishes for Christmas and New year, enjoy a dram or two or whatever takes your fancy, don't get carried away now and keep posting so we know what you are all up to in the New Year, Cheers, President Ian or Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal