We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropeolum azureum  (Read 2790 times)

Tony Garthwaite

Tropeolum azureum
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »
Trop.azureum does seem to be haphazzard in its germination.
Some years ago (about 10!) Brian Germany (Sheila Germany's better half!) gave me about 10 seeds. They germinated one or two a year over about 5 years,.....I removed the corms from the pot and left the pot in the sand on the 'Alpine bench' in the greenhouse. I think they must be one of these plants which produce a chemical preventing the other seeds germinating.
Other varieties seem to germinate like there is no tomorrow!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Tropeolum azureum
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »
Mike Ireland has sent me a very generous packet of T. azureum. It arrived yesterday (thanks so much Mike,) and I thought I'd sow them all in a terra cotta long Tom and just leave them there, but in view of the above, perhaps I'd be better to sow them individually? If those already through prevent the remaining seeds from germinating, it seems a very dog-in-the-manger thing to do. This isn't a plant which is likely to produce major over-population or competition among the individuals.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Garthwaite

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:50:33 AM »
It is only a theory Lesley!
I may be wrong!!
However, I think it is true to say that Mike and I have limited germination with Azureum.
Best of luck!

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:47:51 PM »
Tony,

I have had exactly that experience and came to the same conclusion that the first to germinate sent out a chemical inhibitor.

However in recent years I have had several germinate in the same pot in the same year- so there is something more to it than just that.

I would agree that you should never throw out the seed pot as they can still germinate after many years.

Good luck Lesley
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 08:29:51 PM »
I have had exactly that experience and came to the same conclusion that the first to germinate sent out a chemical inhibitor.

That's a most interesting observation!

Aside from Tropaelums - are there any studies which are dealing with inhibition of germinating seeds among themselves - I mean that the first ones are able to stop their competitors in the neighborhood (in a pot for instance)?
In this particular case methods for sowing are to reassess! 

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the expressions of good luck. Seems I may need it. Previous seedlist T. azureum has usually produced a single seedling and this often didn't come through a second time. There's enough in Mike's packet to sow half a doz individually and the rest in a family group. We shall see what we shall see. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »
Hi,
Tony's theory is very interesting. I think it's true for some species. I personnally don't have any comparison to write about for I usually sow 4 or 5 seeds in the same pot ( lack of space... ). When seeds do germinate there are usually 3 to 4 seedlings in a pot-and nothing in the others...This works with seeds got from a known origin. In the case of the seed exchanges seeds come from various donors and the germination rate might be very different . Lesley's trial is going to be a "scientific" one and could help us to go onwards with Tropaeolum.
Lyon / FRANCE

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »
I'll certainly keep a note of what happens with these precious seeds, but hey, I never did a "scientfic" experiment in my life. ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal