We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather mid 2009  (Read 18243 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Weather mid 2009
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
Gosh I hope it's safe to drive today, Pat  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:28 AM »
Greenhouse temperature reached 44C yesterday on a very hot windless day. Today a little cooler (only a little!) and just beginning a heavy shower but very muggy. Primulas are hating it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 12:25:38 PM »
Another scorcher here in Aberdeen.  I have a large sun umbrella shading my Primula florindaes which are in a very hot dry spot next to a path and are feeling the heat badly.
And no, I wasn't daft to plant them there.... they are self seeded!  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Eric Locke

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »
Mid -thirties here today . :o
Mid forties in the greenhouse. :o :o

Hope it changes soon. :P

Eric
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:25:23 PM by Eric Locke »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »
Turned this thread into "mid" 2009  :-X

Mid 30s here too.... but, luckily, a slight breeze to cool a little. Too hot to go into glasshouse to see what temp. was there.

Horrified to hear today of two police dogs killed by heatstroke in a van outside police station in Nottingham: I realise that this horrible death is inflicted on many dogs by half-witted owners but these were working dogs, supposedly in the care of professionals, who should have known better   >:(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 01:29:11 AM »
Turned this thread into "mid" 2009  :-X

Mid 30s here too.... but, luckily, a slight breeze to cool a little. Too hot to go into glasshouse to see what temp. was there.

Horrified to hear today of two police dogs killed by heatstroke in a van outside police station in Nottingham: I realise that this horrible death is inflicted on many dogs by half-witted owners but these were working dogs, supposedly in the care of professionals, who should have known better   >:(

there was a news story from edmonton alberta the other day: there was a big fundraiser, something to do with pets, in a park--and a number of people had left their dogs in closed vehicles in the parking lot! temps only low 20's, but in the sun....
no heat dangers here, outside sealed vehicles, its been downright chilly, with some nights near/below freezing! still dry, though not quite AS..

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
30-32° C here as well over the last few days.
Watering has become a dayly evening job...  :(  a lot of plants are clearly suffering...  thunder storms forecasted for later today - another thing to worry about...  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
Maggi,

That is awful.  For police dogs the handler and dog bond is usually even stronger than people with their pets.  The handlers will be mortified (to put it mildly!) at what they have done.  Is heat REALLY that rare, that it wasn't even thought of? ???

Then again, I can't recall you ever talking about "mid 30s" before. :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 10:32:41 AM »
Cars are like ovens for dogs even with no direct sun in high temperatures - amazed to hear about the police dogs, just staggering neglect...

We looked into a roof heat exchanger for the car which reversed the heat into air conditioning whilst the car is parked - something should be invented as this is a real problem for a lot of dog owners and more and more people travel now with dogs on pet passports.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

arillady

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
Sounds like a heck of a good idea - the roof heat exchanger - for summer here in Australia
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 06:36:52 PM »
Sounds like a heck of a good idea - the roof heat exchanger - for summer here in Australia

There has been one advertised on TV. It is solar powered and works in a cracked window. Like most items on TV it may be junk.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2009, 03:42:55 AM »
We are now into our summer drought. The only significant precipitation in the last month was 3mm of rain a week ago, and things are getting very dry. Air temperatures are really not very hot, but it's burningly hot if you're in the sun. Impossible to work comfortably in the garden between about 11 am and 5 pm, unless you can find a shaded area that needs attention.

My big specimen of Rheum tanguticum 'Red Select' demands regular deep watering if it isn't to look like the moths have been at it. Likewise, Vancouveria chrysantha and V. planipetala have to watered regularly. I find that none of the Vancouverias tolerates drought unless perhaps in a heavily shaded site - which mine aren't, as I like to see them in bloom.

This drought will continue until early September, but as days get shorter in August, dewfall will be heavier, which alleviates the drought to a minor extent.

It's a good time of year to spend mid-day inside in the shade!

It may be my imagination, but the summer sun seems more burning now than it did, say, ten years ago. Climate change? Or old age setting in?

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:34 AM »
Rodger,

Are your humidity levels lower than usual years?  Drier heat often feels more "burning" that a humid heat.  The same temperature can feel quite difference.  What sort of maximum temps are you experiencing at the moment?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2009, 10:49:51 PM »
Took my wedding ring off today because my finger was swelling. It has been blistered beneath the ring because it has been burnt! This is due to the heat off the sun on the metal of the ring over the last couple of days!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »
When I went to bed last night the weather forcast promised a week of rain to come. This morning the same forcast says there might be a splash on Wednesday! Out with the sprinkler, again.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal