We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 68373 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Weather
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2007, 11:19:58 PM »
here are some rain stats kindly provided by Bob Gordon

21st March 2007 5mm
28th March 2007 5mm
and that's it so far. There was enough in my area last night to form beads on my recently waxed car but not enough for the garden
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 06:00:54 PM »
I DEMAND RAIN!!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 09:06:10 PM »
I DEMAND RAIN!!

Article taken from the Antrim Times:-

"A young!! Antrim gardener was brought before Antrim Magistrates today having been arrested last night. It appears that he was caught in a semi-naked state, with the visible parts of his body gaudily marked with many shades of emulsion paint, dacing around the clothes dryer in his garden and chanting at the top of his voice.

In his address to the Magistrates the gardener asked for clemency as he was only trying to end the current drought by pleading to the Rain Gods.

After considerstion the Magistrates bound him over to keep the Peace and served him with a Community Service Order requiring him to closely mow all grass verges between Antrim and Belfast berore breakfast time each Tuesday until 2014".
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »
very good David. Really made me laugh out loud but I would like some rain. One of my beds is dry to over 4" 10cm

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 05:07:22 AM »
Last night a kids sports club up in queensland had 12,000 litres of water stolen from their tank.  It was keeping their playing fields green, plus the toilets etc in the clubhouse.  They drained the tank.  Must have been done with a professional tanker and pump etc.  Yesterday stage 5 water restrictions were put in place in south east queensland which further restricts their watering times...... obviously someone decided they wanted some water for their tanks to help with the restrictions.  Just awful to have the club lose the whole contents of their tank.  So much of southern Australia is in severe drought now, so you're not alone Mark, even if we are across the other side of the world. LOL
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
I'll tell you where the rain is.......bloody Spain!!!!! Guess where I've been? :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 09:21:57 PM »
Well, having just spent a week listening to swifts screeming overhead [the rain was elsewhere in Spain, thankfully], I decided to check my swift boxes. I didn't even need to get close to see that the left-hand box had been tenanted by starlings. I horsed them out, along with half a hay stack (and a bit of my camomile 'lawn'!) and fitted sloping battens and that seemed to do the trick. Time will tell.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
The entrance must be slightly too big. The swifts will be here in two weeks so get your CD player and attraction CD ready. Just buy a cheap speaker from a car shop and hang it below one of the boxes. I'm going one step further with mine. When my mum goes to Spain in May I'm drilling holes in the gable wall and putting nest boxes in the attic
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:42:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 09:45:50 PM »
The swifts will be here in two weeks so get your CD player and attraction CD ready.

Okay, I'm missing something here... why would we be using a special CD to atttract swifts for? Isn't a ready made nest box a good enough incentive for them?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »
Yeh maggi, how will swifts ever be able to dance with their short legs, they can't even stand up :D
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »
yes and no. The swifts dont know the boxes are there.

What happens is non breeding swifts literally harass breeding pairs by banging on the entrances to their nest sites with their bodies and wings to see/hear if anyone is at home. The resident pair will then duet to say this site is occupied. The attraction CD is a looped 10 second duet which when played will attract non breeders and pairs that have lost their nest sites usually down to modernisation of a building or PVC facias and soffits going up. They will buzz the boxes and hopefully take up residence. An interesting bit of info is swifts take 3 to 5 years to mature and during all this time they never land. It must be very frightening for such an aerial bird to enter a dark nest site for the first time. They spend only 96 days at their nest sites. They have been arriving all over Europe this week and arrived in Holland yesterday. This warm weather may push them in to the UK earlier than ever

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 10:16:35 PM »
Yeh maggi, how will swifts ever be able to dance with their short legs, they can't even stand up
Now that's a problem I sympathise with!! ;D

The attraction CD is a looped 10 second duet which when played will attract non breeders and pairs that have lost their nest sites
But I don't understand how a duet can attract the birds when, if they prospect an occupied box, they discover it is being used by being sung at ! Surely a tape of anything will tell them the box is in use?
Or is the tape of a lonely swift? But then it would need to be of a male and female to work with lonely hearts of both sexes... this is getting too muddled for me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »
The CD just has swifts screaming, so it must draw them down to investigate? The hole size is as instructed and I would think any hole a swift can get through a determined starling will?  It was quite a sight watching several dozen wheeling about in the early evening, just as the tiny bats came out (~7.00 p.m. and still broad daylight).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:24:44 AM by adarby »

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 06:50:27 AM »
Here the wether from South West germany :

Yesterday we had 27° C ....and for the weekend is said : 30° !!!

and no rain ......

8)  Greetings Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 06:27:15 PM »
It is hard to make a sun but what about watering plants?
Atleast in Ireland it should not be a problem with water so why not water them?
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal