We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weather  (Read 68370 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 10:28:37 PM »
Aboyne
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:04 AM »
Aberdeenshire had - 21C today? No wonder Maggi shivers in her shoes! :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

SueG

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
I've just been looking at the 5 day forecast for me and the good weather looks set to continue over the holiday weekend - this must be a mistake - it always rains on bank holidays!
I'll be stocking up on the way home as I think the good weather will call for a nice tall glass of pimms to celebrate!
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
If this is Global warming, bring it on ;D
Inside cooling off
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
Lovely sunny day here, 22C OUTSIDE at the moment.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 05:33:30 PM »
Just nipped out for a look: it is around 12 degrees C here now. It wasn't as good a day today as yesterday, there were times when the sky became quite cloudy, with some dark cloud that looked as though they might have some rain to spare, but they passed over and it got brighter again. Not so warm though, but 12 isn't bad for teatime in April! Let me know when you go away on holiday, Andrew, I'll come down there and house/plant sit for you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »
Hot here this afternoon but not 22C hot. First day this year I've worked in the garden without a jumper, and finished up with another red nose and forehead. A certain other member of the family suggested that it's because I was in the front row when noses were handed out. Cheek!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 10:33:13 PM »
This morning I walked, with my wife, around Mount Congreve in  my shirt sleeves, two glorious hours among the magnolias, just fabulous. In the afternoon, I had a three hour walk with my son, off along the riverbank, again in my shirt and found it very hot.

How is it that after all that walking I am still growing a comfortable pot belly. Might have something to do with the chocolate caramel squares I made at lunchtime and consumed in plenty after dinner this evening.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
Paddy, you are finding out that exercise in  fresh air and sunshine makes you hungry ! I find that excercise and freezing weather makes me hungry. Also, that sitting about, warm or cold, makes me hungry. Ach, let's face it, I'm just hungry! There are worse vices. Besides, I don't think of it as a vice, it is a pleasure !! I wish you hadn't mentioned the caramel slices, though, it's made me a bit peckish.......

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 11:03:43 AM »
Maggi,

Showing vestiges of my religious past, today I have baked a large batch of hot-cross buns. It's hard to describe something which is so nice as being bad for you.

Paddy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 11:07:39 AM »
Fine, bright day here, with  quite a breeze though, so a fresh hot cross bun would be the ideal accompaniment to a cup of coffee in the garden.... you're making me hungry, again!
I haven't a recipe for hot cross buns... but all is not lost, I'll go for some secular pancakes instead!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
Maggi,

Showing vestiges of my religious past, today I have baked a large batch of hot-cross buns. It's hard to describe something which is so nice as being bad for you.

Paddy

One man-so many skills!!!!!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 11:27:14 PM »
And the skill most practiced of them all is that of eating what I cook (unfortunately for my waist size)

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 08:54:33 PM »
23C here this afternoon. I shall have to think seriously about painting shade on my greenhouse-every year when I start to do that the weather turns cloudy and rainy for weeks. What shall I do? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 08:59:43 PM »
What shall I do?
That IS the question! From a personal point of view, it is delightful to spent warm sunny days pottering among the flowers but it cannot be denied that a lot of the flowers, and larger shrubs, too, are really feeling bad from lack of water. The Acers are putting out thier leaves and would like a good soaking ,too, I think. I know a lot of my rhodos are really thirsty and bulbs are going over too fast. Naturalised daffodils seen today were drooping in the heat and this when there was a fair amount of cloud on and off through the afternoon.... so, on balance, I'd say you have to paint on the greenhouse shading... we need that rain!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal