We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 16  (Read 2215 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Bulb log 16
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:13:49 AM »
Ian, An astonishing daffodil field indeed. It has the dimensions of rape fields
here in Germany.

I never saw any bulbocodium with such lobed coronas! Must be interesting if this phenomenon will reoccur from seedlings.

The nearly white N. bulbocodium var. graellsii is also new to me. Until now I have only seen some straw colored ones. Looks fine!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 16
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:05 AM »
Gerd yes the daffodil fields are stunning, I have posted a few more pictures mostly grabbed as we speed along the road as there is nowhere you are allowed to stop that gives us a good view. Spot the yellow.
I did pull onto a side road and went into the field to get a few pictures in close up.

Every year I find new and exciting variations in Narcissus seedlings and as they can be flowered in three years from seed everyone should be growing them this way.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:45:41 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
Thank you Ian. The yellow daffodils seem to enjoy the Scottish conditions!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Kees Green

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:37 AM »
Hi eveyone
I am a new member from Dunedin, New Zealand.
I have for the first time got bulbicodium and cantabricus bulbs, I already have cant foliosus, cantabricus and cluisi (spelling?) buds showing, I assume that it will take a few more weeks before they open as they have really only started showing above ground, the foliosus were shwing the bud formation about 10-14 days ago. I know that these are early flowering but this would seem very early we still have another month to go in Autumn. Is this normal, also have other daffs poping up now. It has been a very mild April in Dunedin this year.
Regards
Kees
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 09:28:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum Kees.

I am not familiar with your seasons down under but if your April = our October then that is when our N. cantabricus foliosus, which is one of the earliest, starts to flower.
If the temperature is high once the bulbs have been watered and start to root out many will just grow on and flower, if the temperatures remain cold they will wait until spring. I have recorded a 4 month swing in the flowering period of  some of these narcissus with the same clone flowering in late October one year and in late March another.

I find that other forms especially  N. cantabricus clusii do not flower until the turn of the year with N. cantabricus cantabricus being among the last into bloom.

It is also worth noting that depending on temperatures (and moisture levels) the buds can be showing for a very long time before the flowers open.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 10:24:46 PM »
I've replied to a privale note from Kees and told him that mine are already flowering, started about 2 weeks ago. 'Nylon' (group) are well out along with some more yellow forms and also a clean white which appeared yesterday where I never planted it and in fact is whiter than any other I've had, so quite pleased about it. April is definitely the start of daffodil time here. And yes, it has been mild this year, with a couple of decent frosts then temps in the high 20s in Dunedin, with hot winds. Our usual, totally unpredictable climate in fact.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Kees Green

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »
Hi
Thanks for that, I will post when they start showing and try to upload some pics of them.
I have not managed to get your e-mail yet Lesley, I think we are having a few problems with xtra at present, will respond when I do. I find it fascinating that you have daffs flowing already, I think I will really enjoy this new hobby, it will make the years fly as I go from cicada summers and autumns to narcisus winters and springs.
Does bubicodiums and cantabricus hybridise quite freely with triandus, I will try to cross these myself as I really like the hybrids. I will also try to do this with other miniatures and the afore mentioned, would be really nice to see a bi colour bulbicodium/cantabricus. No doubt you have all tried this and may have some tips for me, anyone tried bell song x bulbi/cantabricus-would be great to get the pink colour there. I am a complete novice but am keen to try.
Regards
Kees
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
Ian and Maggi, your "front drive" must be a huge inspiration to gardeners the world over. I just love watching its progress from year to year and have pledged to create one for myself with South African bulbs as soon as I'm in a position to do so - thanks a lot!   :D

...and those daffodil fields!!!!
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal