We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 14  (Read 2131 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Bulb Log 14
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »
Wonderful frits last week & 'others' this week Ian 8)
I vaguely recall Jim Archibald describing that beautiful Muscari mcbeatheanum as 'not easy' or something along those lines.  Do you find that too and if so what do you think is the secret to success?
I agree completely about the value of growing (and maintaining) bulbs from seed as far as possible, not least to avoid the disappointment of bringing in virus-infected plants >:( :P   
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Bulb Log 14
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
Stunning photographs (and plants) Ian, many thanks.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »
The Muscari mcbeatheanum was only collected once and then the site was lost.

It was rediscovered on the AGS trip to Southern Turkey last spring.
I found it very difficult and lost my one bulb to rot.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gunilla

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 08:37:29 AM »
As always, I enjoyed your Bulb Log and super photos, Ian. 
I first saw a photo of the lovely Muscari mcbeatheanum in one of your earlier Bulb Logs and was lucky to get some seed from J Archibald. I would appreciate any advice on how to best keep the small seedlings happy and alive.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:44:02 AM by Gunilla »
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement everyone.

I agree that Muscari mcbeatheanum  is not the easiest bulb on cultivation and I have lost some stock in the past to rot.

For the last few years I have grown it in a small pot to limit the amount of wet compost that surrounds it.

Once it has received the autumn storms I do not water directly into the pot until I see the spring growth which emerges quite late compared to many other bulbs.

Once it is in growth plenty of water until its is in full flower then restrict the watering again so when it goes dormant the compost is pretty dry.

For small seedlings I would keep them growing for as long as you can keeping them cool as the temperatures climb will help them grow on a bit longer and feed them up with potassium.

As with all young seedling bulbs do not let them get too hot and arid when they go dormant until they have enough reserves to withstand a full summer dormancy.

I do hope that I can build this small stock up so more people can enjoy this delightful small bulb.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

veteran vet

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »
Just catching up on the bulb log. I exhited M mcbeathianum at the Cleveland Show last Saturday having raised the few bulbs I have from J&J Archibald seed. I have to agree that the bulbs seem easier in a smaller pot and this is perhaps because they can be kept at the right moisture levels during the dormant period. It is one of my favourite bulbs despite its small stature, it seems to encompass what the 'alpine' grower is looking for. Re Tulipa albocaerulea, as it happens I bnought a few pots of flowering plants from Rob Potterton at the Chesterfield show as I agree with Ian that it is a stunning plant....I hope I can keep it alive now that I have a bit more experience!

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:17 PM »
Thanks for that further information Ian and Vet.  It has been listed in the SRGC seedex too in the last couple of years as well as being available from the Archibalds, as you say.  I must try it.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal