We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A few pics from New Zealand  (Read 4542 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: A few pics from New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 02:20:21 AM »
Incidentally, how hardy is that NZ flax? The stuff growing on the far side of the spring creek.

Well Fred, it's as tough as old boots, here anyway. I believe at least some UK gardens grow it, on the west coast of Scotland for instance. Do you really want to try it? Can send some seeds later at some stage.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
Well Fred, it's as tough as old boots, here anyway. I believe at least some UK gardens grow it, on the west coast of Scotland for instance. Do you really want to try it? Can send some seeds later at some stage.

I really liked that plant, it was everywhere (as  of course  you know). Not exactly a trough specimen of course but to me it just says NZ west coast. I might take you up on that Lesley!

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
Fred as I also river fish for trout almost as much as I garden BOY oh BOY am I envious> . This has been on my to do list for too long . Looks like paradise for a fisherman 

It  is Ian. The season has just started at home as you know,  but after NZ I find myself thinking what's the point? It's not just the fishing, it's the country, the attitude  and the   whole deal. You buy your season licence for abut 30 quid and go pretty much where you want. Try that here and  you would have Lord Poncenby-Stoat-Strangler  after you with a shotgun. The Kiwis are the friendliest people I have ever encountered.

That fish above was 4 ¾ lb, caught on a size 16 wire nymph.

Get over there. Here’s  another  few  photos to help you make up your mind.

117741-0
5 ¼ lb on a dry fly

117743-1
6 ½  lb on a dry fly

117745-2
7 lb on a dry fly

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 06:06:47 PM »
Just had a phone call from Lord Poncenby-Stoat-Strangler who tells me that since fox-hunting has been banned he has decided to do away  with blasting ramblers with a shotgun and  now plans to set the hounds on them instead .... he says that's  more fun than the foxes anyhow. ::) :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
Fred,
congratulations for this fantastic trouts ;)

Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 10:29:37 PM »
The season has just started at home as you know,  but after NZ I find myself thinking what's the point? It's not just the fishing, it's the country, the attitude  and the   whole deal. You buy your season licence for abut 30 quid and go pretty much where you want. Try that here and  you would have Lord Poncenby-Stoat-Strangler  after you with a shotgun. The Kiwis are the friendliest people I have ever encountered.

We do try Fred.
Perhaps if you revisit some time you might care to throw in a little time with the local alpine gardeners/Forumists.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
[

Perhaps if you revisit some time you might care to throw in a little time with the local alpine gardeners/Forumists.

Why would he when he is having so much fun catching fish ;D
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 11:16:43 AM »

Why would he when he is having so much fun catching fish ;D

Could be hobbit forming? ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 02:26:34 PM »
Could be hobbit forming? ;D

Neither myself or my pal Alex are especially tall certainly  not compared to Alex's Kiwi fishing guide mate John. We were round one evening at his house for dinner when the phone rang. It was a pal of his, another fishing guide. John told him he had a couple of Hobbits fresh in from middle earth.  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal