We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Caerleon Show Feb 14th  (Read 5946 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: AGS Caerleon Show Feb 14th
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »
Wonderful photos, Rob ... many thanks for taking the time and the trouble to post.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
I thought 'Sophie North' also
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:28:34 PM »
White gravel looks good nowhere, not even in fish tanks.

johnw

Looks superb in the Dolomites, John!  :D :D :D

Got me. ;D
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Rob

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »
I've found a last set of photos.

Hopefully I'm not repeating any from the first page

not sure but has 'wisley' as part of the name.
habenaria tridactylites
cyclamen persicum
3 pan
daubenya marginata
crocus cvijicii
galanthus nivalis flore pleno
crocus reticulatus
galanthus ikariae snogerupii
galanthus artichenkoi

It should be possible to check the names on the AGS site in a week or two.

That's my posting done for the year!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:33:45 PM by Rob »
Midlands, United Kingdom

Dionysia

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:42 AM »
Hi - I'm sorry some of you did not appreciate the reason behind the grey (not white) material between the inner and outer pots on our show plants. During the show season the plants are out of the plunge bed for two or three weeks. As I never water the pots directly they need to be kept moist particularly in a show hall. The material is 1mm pumice which retains water and maintains the moisture level in the pot whereas grit would not. I realise I could add a thin level of grit on top but at £30 a bag don't want to get the materials mixed together.
Paul
 in Chippenham

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »
You are up early, Paul  ...  I hope the 'pot' filler question didn't keep you awake?  It certainly didn't worry the judges by the look of it!  Beautiful plants, superbly presented ... as always.
Regards from East Lancashire. Hope you can make it up to our show in it's new venue in Whitworth on 21st March?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
Thank you for showing Rob!
So many interesting plants to see there, that's what we miss overhere  :( :(
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 10:40:58 AM »
Thanks for taking us along the benches Rob !  :D
Great plants as usual - at least it makes us think Winter is over now...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
Hi, Dionysia.... are you Paul or Gill? Great to have you here ---it has been a pleasure to enjoy your fine plants at this distance from the comfort (?) of home. Hope this is the start of a good show season for you ....the omens are good, anyway!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
Hi Dionysia. Welcome to the Forum. Don't worry about the opinions of some of us regarding the gravel. I'm sure it looked completely different on the show bench, and whether some of us like it or not, it certainly draws attention. Reminds me of the effect in Japanese gardens. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 01:28:54 PM »
That's my posting done for the year!
Oh, Rob, surely not? You've made such a good job of this report, I was envisioning a great future for you as a Forum photo journalist.... :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 02:34:56 PM »
Hi - I'm sorry some of you did not appreciate the reason behind the grey (not white) material between the inner and outer pots on our show plants. During the show season the plants are out of the plunge bed for two or three weeks. As I never water the pots directly they need to be kept moist particularly in a show hall. The material is 1mm pumice which retains water and maintains the moisture level in the pot whereas grit would not. I realise I could add a thin level of grit on top but at £30 a bag don't want to get the materials mixed together.

Please don't let us put you off.  It's the stark white big chips that people mulch their front beds with that drive me particularly crazy.

The Dionysia look great no matter what the colour and I have done the same thing trying to save my best grit.

Wish we could get pumice here it's amazing how things root in it.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Dionysia

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi. It was me,Paul who posted the previous note. I'm new to this and don't know how you get your name to appear at the bottom of the note. I should perhaps have mentioned that as well as maintaining the moisture in what can be warm showhalls there are a couple of other reasons for double potting. Firstly although the diameter of the pots is small they are often long toms so are intrinsically unstable. Secondly they just don't look right especially in a multi pan class. Overpotting is not a good idea and as they are often slow growing (one of those on Saturday was only 3cm in diameter after 5 years) many stay in small pots for some time. If possible I do bury the inner rim but often that is not possible without also burying or damaging the plant as well. Cliff, much as we'd love to visit the East Lancs show it once again clashes with Kent. Although there isn't a huge difference in distance there are more classes at Kent for which Dionysias are eligible. We have shown at East Lancs a couple of times in the past so hopefully, OPEC willing,  in the future we shall return. I am actually a local lad having been born in Ashton under Lyne.
Paul
 in Chippenham

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 07:50:02 PM »

Paul, as John says, don't let us put you off - posting! We only do it to annoy because we know it teases. (Who was that? AA Milne? or Edward Lear?) And it had the good result of encouraging you to post here. don't leave us now please. We'd LOVE to see more of the wonderful dionysias et al.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:57:08 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »
I thought I had done extremely well mentioning just the cake CART and not what it was carrying.  :)

Rob, you a nurseryman, you MUST know the first plant in the last group of images. Surely it is Saxifraga grisebachii 'Wisley?'
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:04:29 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal