We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pentachondra pumila  (Read 4132 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: Pentachondra pumila
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »
Maggi,

It most likely did not appreciate the shade. Its natural habitat would be most similar to that favoured by the small Vacciniums or Empetrum nigrum. (translating to the Northern Hemisphere circum- boraeal flora)
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:01 PM »
You're right Maggi, more sun would have helped with flowering/fruiting. Most of NZ's alpine bogs are in full sun, usually on exposed, windy hilltops. I don't understand how the top of a hill/mountain can be a bog. Why doesn't the water drain downwards? But it doesn't, and there are many very fine species in these sunny but soggy habitats.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
I was out in the field last weekend seed collecting.Some of the 'usual suspects' were still in bloom--Celmisias ,Gentians and others ---however the most impressive display was from the Pentachondra.

In the area i was visiting the numerous berried patches from a distance had a purplish look to them--the following close up shot shows the true colour of the foliage.

As David has mentioned it is not only found in bogs--most of the plants viewed on Saturday were in exposed rocky sites where at times the soil must get quite dry --although to be frank i doubt that this would have occurred this summer down in the south here.   

Cheers dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:34 AM »
I am just back from four days in Northern Southland and as Dave said there is still a lot flowering.  The plants I saw wer growing in comparatively dry rocky sites. In one place the plant/ plants covered many square metres as a complete carpet.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
I'm sure it would make a lovely plant in a trough? The red berries just add to its charm. 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
Fantastic Dave!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 08:16:50 PM »
Dave did you think to take some cuttings or rooted bits from that superb plant? I ask because it seems to be a very good form in that the fruit is well exposed above the foliage whereas it often nestles among it, hiding much of the beauty. This one is really very good. Before I read the next posts I thought "Carlo will like that one."  :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
Just to complement Daves photo here is a picture of Pentachondra pumila flowering taken two days ago. No sign of fruit on this plant.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 08:34:38 PM »
Still a stunner David...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2009, 12:37:31 AM »
Just to complement Daves photo here is a picture of Pentachondra pumila flowering taken two days ago. No sign of fruit on this plant.

it is a really nice plant--in flower OR fruit; really nice foliage on this one, too

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
Note to self: " remember to take pic of Dryas octopetala which covers several square metres to the side of a house driveway along the road from my house."
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 03:48:17 PM »
Note to self: " remember to take pic of Dryas octopetala which covers several square metres to the side of a house driveway along the road from my house."

Not in bloom yet Anthony, surely?    ... or is this a long term reminder?   :) :)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal