We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 44 - 29/10/08  (Read 3929 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Bulb log 44 - 29/10/08
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
I did something similar a couple of years ago and just as Ian, I have surprisingly good results.
I used a cold light viewing screen. On of those you use when comparing slides.
I have that flat on the table. Then I made a holder where I could conveniently drop the slide in and that would block light not passing the slide.
The holder straddles the screen at a distance above so any specs on the screen are out of focus.
The contraption then carries a similar drop in holder for an old biggish lens (Heliar 30cm 1:4.5 for 24x30cm negatives) and a mount for the camera.
The advantage lies in the quick exchange of slides and in convenience since I do not have any fold down screen. The long focal length of the heliar gives me plenty of space to maneuver the slides but I must of course use the camera in telephoto mode.
Gravity can be a great help sometimes ;)
Unfortunately it does not work all that well with negatives. The negatives have a different gradation and further there is the orange mask. I have yet to find out how to process the images. mere conversion does not give sufficiently good results. My dedicated (= s---l----o----w  >:( ) scanner handles these problems reasonably well.
Göte
(On request I could post a photo but we all  have to use what bits and pieces that are available)
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »
Yes, I agree that natural light is more diffuse and better than point source for this work. I have also found it safer for me to place the diffuser against the window than ask Carol to stand outside all day with a sheet of white paper :o
I have two further questions arising from this topic.
Anne tells us that Barry has his camera connected directly to computer, presumably his pictures appear on the screen as he takes them. I have always thought that I should be able to do this but never found out how. Any ideas?
Back in the old days photographers used to have their cameras mounted on a tri-pod and had a cable from the camers to a remote toggle switch so that they then don't have to disturb the camera again.Modern digitals don't seem to have this facility. Am I correct or is there a way to fit this up?
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 06:49:28 PM »
The remote release seems to have disappeared. For this type of work, the self timer can be useful.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal