We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 44 - 29/10/08  (Read 3912 times)

Lauren

Bulb log 44 - 29/10/08
« on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »
Ian, thank you for your ingenious idea for digitalizing slides!! My father has been through the same thing as you, looking for a decent way to scan his slides. He has 100's from when he worked on the diamond mines in the 70's, and I can just imagine the memories that will be brought back by using your nifty invention. Thanks for sharing!

Lauren
Lauren in Hobart, Tasmania

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
Re: Bulb log 44 - 29/10/08
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:39:48 PM »
Ian commented that crocus flowers need a bit of warmth to open as well as light. We bring them inside so they open and I have observed a flower opening at night when brought in to a warm room, so the light creates the warmth to open the flowers.

As for my C. niveus and laevigatus they are still in bud.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
Ian,
Thank you for the additional notes concerning Sternbergia species.
You mentioned for S. greuteriana -   ' seed pods bending down towards the gravel - a characteristic of this plant '.
I just observed the same with S. sicula 'Dodona Gold' - unfortunately something more to increase the confusion.
Do you have a key where the position of the seed pods is described?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
Gerd, Ian didn't mean by " seed pods bending down towards the gravel - a characteristic of this plant "... that this was a diagnostic.... simply that this is what HIS  S. greuteriana do!
Yes, S. 'Dodona Gold' tends to do this too.... pehaps there is some S. greuteriana in the 'Dodona Gold'??

SO confusing, I agree!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
Ian, My husband Barry is also working his way through thousands of old slides using a similar method. He reckons he can do 1000 per night with this setup. The slide is placed in a jig over a lightbox, the camera set up so that the picture taken is slightly smaller than the frame size to avoid having to crop. The slide jig needs to be seperated from the lightbox by a few centimetres or specks of dirt on the lightbox can show up on the photo. The camera is linked directly to the computer, which automatically numbers the photo to correspond with numbers previously written on the slides ( it can be told to start at a particular number and move on from there).
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
Positively high tech compared with Ian's set-up, Anne. Impressive about the computer link for numbering ......  8)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:39:42 AM »
Gosh... there's some smart and skilful people around on this forum...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
Gerd, Ian didn't mean by " seed pods bending down towards the gravel - a characteristic of this plant "... that this was a diagnostic.... simply that this is what HIS  S. greuteriana do!
Yes, S. 'Dodona Gold' tends to do this too.... pehaps there is some S. greuteriana in the 'Dodona Gold'??

SO confusing, I agree!

Maggi - I never get seed pods on Sternbergias unless I hand-pollinate. On the few occasions I have done so the seed pods on all forms bend towards the ground.
I believe S. sicula 'Dodona Gold' is a clone derived from CH856 collected in N. Greece some 20 years ago. It seems unlikely that there is any S.greuteriana in it.

Ian - a wonderful set of photos showing the fascinating range of forms in Sternbergia. According to the RBG Kew Checklist, the name S. lutea subsp. sicula which you mention is the currently accepted name for S. sicula. Incidentally, the Checklist web site (http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/home.do) allows one to create a list of all the recorded names which have ever been applied to Sternbergias. The list is very long.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 12:06:54 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 12:41:23 PM »
We've just had the pleasure of a surprise visit from Margaret and Henry Taylor....... they're confused by the Sternbergias, also ....so we're in good company!!

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 05:10:36 PM »
Maybe we should build a new subgroup - confused Sternbergia enthusiasts  ??? ??? ???

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
What a brilliantly simple wheeze to get those old slides on the computer.
Now I know how I will spend those long winter evenings. ;D
Thanks Ian.
John
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 09:34:45 PM »
I tried a couple of pictures of slides laid against the window this afternoon. It works but my results were poor, however, I can see how I can work with this to get acceptable results. I don't intend to get as detailed as Barry (Wright) but the winter afternoon seem shorter already!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »
I have an old slide viewer with a large screen which I tried to use as a light box. The light behind it is a single bulb and was still too focused on the slide. I have removed the diffuser and, with this against the window, would hope for more even lighting - if the fog ever lifts!
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
David the point is to use the natural light either difused through a white plastic screen or you can reflect the light from white card.
By having the camera fixed to the same piece of wood as the slide I can get away with working in very low light with long shutter speeds. In fact the best results are in low white cloudy conditions - direct sunshine should be avoided.
If you are using an artificial light source it is vital that it is completely difused and also that the correct white balance is set on the camera for the light source.
For me there is no better light than that supplied by nature.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 10:29:32 AM »
It is important as Ian says to get the white balance right. Barry takes the photos in a CR2 format (something to do with his being a Canon camera  ??? ) then the white balance is easy to adjust digitally using Zoombrowser software.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal