We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Have you swapped with a forum member?  (Read 16200 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Have you swapped with a forum member?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 09:11:11 AM »
Me too, and I know all the Aussie members have.

I have a particular attitude to swapping/giving plant material. It is this.

If I am given something by someone else, I return the favour if possible, but sometmimes I have nothing that person wants so the giving is only one way. But then, I can often give to a third person who has nothing I want, so in effect, while the "swapping" isn't necessarily A to B then B to A, if it's A to B, B to C, C to D and so on, the system still works. So many Forum members have been generous to me and I can't always return the favour but if I can pass something along to yet another person, I feel I'm taking a proper part.

I also think that doing a favour is just that (whether swapping, doing a service or whatever) and IS NOT a favour if a return is expected or required. I really hate the "you owe me one" comment we hear so often in TV drama. How can it be a favour if it has to be paid for? I prefer to think of a favour as something given freely and willingly with NO expectation of return or payment.

You probably didn't expect all that Mark, did you?

Lesley pretty much summed it up for me.  I have received so many things from people who I can never repay, so I try to pass on stuff as often as possible to share the joy around.  Sometimes my stupid health has got in the way, but if I am trading then I fully intend to repay it, even if sometimes it does take a little longer than planned.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »
This has got to be an interesting thread. I only expected a few word answers but it's great
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »
As a bit of a beginner I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of various forum members.  Initially I felt badly that I could not return favours, until Lesley said much the same as she has done earlier on in this thread.  This gave me heart that at some time, somewhere, someone who had been more than generous to me would receive something 'in return' from a third party who I had sent something to in the past - thus 'repaying' the favour.  In our present society it is a marvellous thing to be part of the generosity of this group, so of course I actually had to join the SRGC, although there is very little possibility of becoming an 'active' member in the flesh as it were 8)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:24 AM »
SRGC forum = generosity !!
Lots has been said above that I also experienced !

Obviously I've swapped too - but I've also been sent lots of beautiful stuff when I couldn't return the favour... and the other way around....  And all that makes this forum so unique !
It's great to be a member of this worldwide community !!  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »
so of course I actually had to join the SRGC, although there is very little possibility of becoming an 'active' member in the flesh as it were 

Brian, it is great that you did join the SRGC, for otherwise how would the Club support the website and Forum ? ::) ???   As for not being an "active" member.... the forumists number, as of today, some 650 members.... this constitutes BY FAR the largest Group of all the SRGC members....... 8) ....So all you busy posting forumists are taking as active a part in SRGC affairs as any member of any "real"  geographical Group, and are helping to spread the name of the SRGC around the world as you do so.... that's a pretty significant level of activity in MY book!  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:12:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
I'm only a member of this forum for a bit more than one year and I've already swapped with a lot of people.
The members of this forum are really generous. So a big thank you too all of you.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
the forumists number, as of today, some 656 members.... this constitutes BY FAR the largest Group of all the SRGC members

Hooray for all of us whether forum or group members.   ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2008, 06:15:34 PM »
I have been swapping and giving for years, and I like to give plants to beginners. When I was showing I used to give all my plants away to anyone who was interested  after the show especially beginners. The look of surprise and disbelief  on their face is worth anything.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2008, 07:11:12 PM »
Yes, I've benefited from the generosity of many members of this Forum to whom I shall be ever grateful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2008, 11:44:25 PM »

The members of this forum are really generous. So a big thank you too all of you.

And to you too Wim. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephen Vella

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:38 AM »
What comes around goes around!!

Its good to see that garden plants are passed onto the younger generation and keeps the gardening world going.

Cheers and thanks :)

Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

4moreaction

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 06:32:01 AM »
i've been member here also for a rather short while... and i've been overwhelmed by the generosity of all the responses!  I only wish I can sometimes return the favor by helping someone with something that causes as much joy as the ones that I've recieved... =O)
'we should appreciate the gifts of nature!'

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 07:50:50 AM »
I agree with all that has been said. Lesley summed it up very well.
One problem is that the plant, seed or whatever that one is pleased to give away is unripe or otherwise not fit for sending for maybe several months.
I always ask that I be reminded because #A: I tend to forget #B: The eagerly waiting person might have got it from another source in the meantime.
I think we have to be tolerant to reminders.
Fritillaria Camtschatkensis anyone?? ;D 
Göte
PS
The FC is nearly a weed in my place. However one man's weed is another man's rose.

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 12:51:32 PM »
I agree with Gote, reminders can be very helpful.  I keep a folder with promises made for future corms, seeds etc, but a reminder is welcome in case I forget to put it in the folder.  :) ::)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:35:15 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2008, 01:10:52 PM »
I agree with Gote, reminders can be very helpful.  I keep a folder with promises made for future corms, seeds etc, but a reminder is welcome in case I forget to put it in the folder.  :) ::)
I keep a list... it's just a problem sometimes to find the list ::) :P :-[ :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal