We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 211520 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
Haven't heard of this one Frazer and imagine I would enjoy it very much. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2008, 06:54:04 PM »
This one was mentioned a little while ago. Paddy

“Macro Photography for Gardeners and Nature Lovers” was recently published by Timber Press and has been the best instructional manual I have read to date though I must clarify immediately that this is instruction lightly delivered and easily digested. The author is a keen gardener and many of his photographs are taken in his own garden, like many of us I imagine, which makes his writing particularly relevant.

The book is in fact two books delivered in a parallel fashion and is very effective in the delivery of its message as a result. There is the main body of the book dealing with equipment, the techniques of taking macro photographs, the management of digital files etc. Parallel to this almost each page has a large photograph or two smaller ones and these are all accompanied by lengthy details of how and why each photograph was taken so that a great deal of information is given with each.

I found the book well organised and particularly well illustrated and recommend it to readers who have an interest in macro photography particularly that of flowers. [Macro Photography for Gardeners and Nature Lovers, Alan L. Detrick, Timber Press, London, 2008, SB, 176pp, £17.99, ISBN-13:  978-0-88192-890-7]

Apologies that the front cover image below is in black and white as this was what was required for our local newsletter here and I had discarded the colour image.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2008, 07:08:11 PM »
I agree with what Paddy has said about 'Macro Photography'.
So far I just read through it as a reading book. If I ever get this d**** kitchen finish then I intend to work my way through it again as a teaching aid.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2008, 07:12:13 PM »
Snap!

David, we are up to our eyes doing up the kitchen at this moment also. Why must women always get this great burst of energy and urgency to have things done for Christmas - and all at the last minute. With me it's school Christmas concert (oh, what torture) during the day and kitchen at night.

Thank goodness for books.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »
Is the book aimed at digital SLR users in particular or would it also be of use to digital camera users in general?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »
David,

It is aimed at digital SLR camera users. The author uses a couple of Canon and with that exception I found his work excellent.

You ask if the book would be of use to digital camera users in general and I would say definitely yes. I would suggest it might prompt you to consider purchasing a digital SLR at some stage as you would appreciate the greater control of image capture which an SLR would give you, putting you in control of the photograph rather than the camera.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »
Paddy, thanks for that. I've considered buying a digital SLR but I have no background at all in photography (never even owned a camera before buying my first digital compact about four years ago) and I would have too much to learn to use one effectively. I think I will stick to 'conventional' digital cameras.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »
My first camera many moons ago was a SLR. I then went to digital compact and what I paid then would buy two Canon 450s today. I badly want to go back to an SLR again
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
David,

I wouldn't baulk at the idea of buying an SLR. Remember that it will also work completely in "Automatic" mode and you can branch out bit by bit to using the other options on the camera then.

Paddy

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
You have greater faith in my ability than I have Paddy. I have had my Fuji Finepix S5700 for over a year now and still haven't mastered any other function other than auto.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2008, 08:05:30 PM »
You have greater faith in my ability than I have Paddy. I have had my Fuji Finepix S5700 for over a year now and still haven't mastered any other function other than auto.
Well, you say that, David, but you produce some super photos for us to enjoy here, so I'd be content, if I were you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2008, 08:11:19 PM »
Why thank you Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Listen for the loud squelch as I put my foot right in it, again.
David, I thought we both had a digital SLR in the Fuji Finepix S5700 - yes/no?
Fuji describe it as a DSLR having a single 10x optical zoom lens (F3.5). Whilst the camera is at the lower end of the range it has all the facilities of a SLR even though it is an excellent camera in automatic mode.
I have wondered about an extra lens but haven't found anything compatible. I don't know if the camera requires one and, anyway, it is too early for me to seriously worry about this - I can't use the basic camera efficiently yet.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
I thought we both had a digital SLR in the Fuji Finepix S5700 - yes/no?

No, David S.... it's a compact digital, not an SLR   ;)
"The Fujifilm Finepix S5700 is an advanced digital compact camera featuring excellent optics, 7.1 megapixel resolution and ease-of-use. It gives you as much technical control as you want, while retaining automatic and program modes. "
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
David,

The "D" in "DSLR" indicates that it simulates through-the-lens viewing as one gets in an SLR. I used a similar Fuji up to a year or so ago and found it an excellent camera. Certainly the SLR has the advantage of being able to interchange lens and have a wide range of lens available even if they are expensive.

Paddy

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal