We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Books you may like to hear about  (Read 211110 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Books you may like to hear about
« Reply #585 on: January 29, 2015, 03:27:41 PM »
Paddy Tobin reviews Keith Wiley's new book: https://igpsblogs.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/designing-and-planting-a-woodland-garden-by-keith-wiley-a-review/

Designing and Planting the Woodland Garden: Plants and Combinations that Thrive in the Shade
By Keith Wiley

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 280 pp.
Book dimensions: 7⅝ x 9¼ in. (235 x 195 mm.)
ISBN-10: 1604693851
ISBN-13: 9781604693850
Product code: 689385
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Roma

« Reply #586 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »
Roma you will not be disappointed by the Silk Road book, but i'm sure you'll use it as an insulation (cf astragalus) :o
I ordered the book through Amazon from a company called 'Speedyhen' on Saturday and it arrived on Wednesday :).   It is a lovely book and will get great pleasure looking at the pictures with just enough text to be informative.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #587 on: February 01, 2015, 02:53:20 PM »
Another book just released by 2 nature lovers, Chris & Basak Gardner

Flora of the Silk Road, 416 pages, 3Kg (!!) full of marvellous photos.

And this is their website for tours.....    http://www.viranatura.com/About-us

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #588 on: February 02, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
Paddy Tobin reviews Keith Wiley's new book: https://igpsblogs.wordpress.com/2015/01/29/designing-and-planting-a-woodland-garden-by-keith-wiley-a-review/

Designing and Planting the Woodland Garden: Plants and Combinations that Thrive in the Shade
By Keith Wiley

Pages: 280 pp.
Book dimensions: 7⅝ x 9¼ in. (235 x 195 mm.)
ISBN-10: 1604693851
ISBN-13: 9781604693850
Product code: 689385

Ah, Maggi, now I understand why I was getting traffic from the SRGC! Many thanks.
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #589 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:11 AM »
A book of more general interest, The RHS, The Garden Anthology, edited by Ursula Buchan

https://igpsblogs.wordpress.com/2015/01/28/royal-horticultural-society-the-garden-anthology-edited-by-ursula-buchan/
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #590 on: February 17, 2015, 05:25:21 AM »
I've just taken delivery of a book I have been waiting for  for some time. "The Flora of the Silk Road" (Christopher Gardener & Basak Gardener). No doubt Northern Hemisphere members may have seen/heard of it.  A little more expensive than my usual acquisitions and I have only skimmed it so far.  I AM BESIDE MYSELF WITH ENTHUSIASM for this book.  Largely a picture book of plants but wonderful pictures and it has reinvigorated my energy for growing these gems.  I know I am probably gushing a little but, for someone at the other end of the earth from these plants, just a little tolerance please.  My winter reading and planning will be special this year!!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #591 on: February 17, 2015, 06:41:31 AM »
This is a beautiful book isn't John - I have a review copy which I aim to write about in my Diary on the AGS website because the range of plants described, the places and the incredible history that has come from travellers on the Silk Road, and the connections between different cultures, belies a lot that is occurring in the World at the moment.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #592 on: February 17, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »
Cross-posted from The Rock Garden-January 2015.

Quote from: David Nicholson on January 20, 2015, 01:09:09 AM
It won't be long now. Here's a scan of the Timber Press advertisement, which will be on page 121 of the January 2015 edition, and showcases the Timber Press range of Plant Lover's Guides, including Naomi Slade's Snowdrops. As you will see these are available for a special price of £15.00 per title (including postage to UK mainland addresses [elsewhere postage is charged at cost], just use the code SROCK15 on the Timber Press website at www.timberpress.co.uk  . Dahlias, Salvias, Sedums and Snowdrops are available now and these will be followed from 1 April by Tulips, Epimediums, Ferns, and Asters .

Sadly I heard from Sally McEnallay, Sales and Marketing Manager for Timber press UK that Timber Press USA has made the decision to close their UK Office at the end of March. Sally has been good enough, at a time when she must be under some pressure, to set up procedures by which our members can continue to implement the offer outlined above after 1 April. I have thanked her for this and those procedures are below:-

""The code is up on the website, which will be active until the end of March at which point, I think, the US are closing down the UK site. After 1st April, the best way to redeem the offer and order books would be for members to contact our PR and Communications manager, Becky O’Malley, also based in Devon! If they ring her on 01395 232166 or email her at romalley@timberpress.com she will be happy to take the order and organise for the books to be sent at our agreed price of £15.00 per book with free postage for UK addresses.

I hope you might be able to distribute this information to members so that anyone who does want to order still is able to do so after April 1st. ""

I will repeat this information on the Books thread.
Modify message
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #593 on: February 17, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
Tim, look forward to your review.  Interestingly it did occur to me that with all the bellicose confrontations occurring in some of these areas, the effects on native species may well be seen as a disaster in the future.  The unintended consequences of plant hunting and seed collecting of the past, although contentious now, may well be an environmental saviour.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #594 on: February 20, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
A new title coming later in the year from Timber Press: http://www.timberpress.com/books/steppes/bone/9781604694659

Steppes: The Plants and Ecology of the World’s Semi-arid Regions

By Michael Bone, Dan Johnson, Panayoti Kelaidis, Mike Kintgen, and Larry G. Vickerman

With Denver Botanic Gardens

Steppes are giant grasslands, defined not only by their plants, but also by the geology and climate that created them. They comprise enormous areas on four continents and are where a huge number of staple crops and garden plants originated. Despite the importance of these regions, both horticulturally and in terms of human evolution and development, remarkably little has been written about them.

Steppes surveys all of the world’s steppe regions—including areas in North America, Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America—and highlights the plants in each, along with climatic and geological descriptions of each area. The plants of these regions have inspired some of the most important garden designers of our time, including Piet Oudolf, Tom Stuart Smith, Wolfgang Oehme, and James Van Sweden.

This important reference is for professionals, highly knowledgeable gardeners, and students of botany and horticulture.

Price: $49.95*
    Pages: 360 pp.*
    Book dimensions: 8½ x 10 in. (255 x 215 mm.)*
    ISBN-10: 1604694653
    ISBN-13: 9781604694659
    Product code: 689465
    *These specifications have not been finalized and are subject to change.

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #595 on: March 09, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »
Hi Maggi
Just wondering when this book is being published?
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #596 on: March 09, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

The Timber Press page says that  "Steppes: The Plants and Ecology of the World’s Semi-arid Regions"   is "expected" around July 8th 2015.  That's all I know so far. 

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #597 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
Thank you I will put that date in my diary, this will be a lovely book for the updated SRGC library that I am working on.
Has anyone got any other new books I should be buying for the club library.
I ordered over 25 titles today from floras to genus to cultivation in the woodland!
What fun on a cold wet day
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »
A forthcoming monograph on the genus Fritillaria by Martyn Rix has been mentioned and might be a worthwhile acquisition, publication this autumn perhaps?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »
I'll  believe that when I see it , Matt - Martyn Rix' Frit . book has been "promised" since Methuselah was a boy....
 :-\

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal